Weed Eater mini bike questions

Well, I have come here to find some more information on how I am going to build my 2 weed eater engines, brand new, into a pair of mini bikes. I have already decided to do chain driven setups, so don't try and convince me otherwise lol. These will be more the novelty thing and I plan to make them look super cute and awesome for the family, siblings and friends to dink around on in the summer ;)
These bikes won't have pedals, just foot pegs. Brakes will be installed.
My concerns/questions , are will it be possible to modify these in a way that when you pull the throttle, the clutch can engage and take off. When I picture this in my head, I am picturing that either you would need to pedal the bike no matter what to stop it from stalling or if using no pedals would need to run along side it and jump on/throttle same time before it stalls....
Any help and tips would be great as this is my first weed eater MB build
~~~ 2StrokeMama ❤️~~~

I think your gonna have problems if you take off them pedals you got to have a forward speed of at least 5 MPH to pop the clutch. However centerfrugal clutch ain't sure of.

I think your gonna have problems if you take off them pedals you got to have a forward speed of at least 5 MPH to pop the clutch. However centerfrugal clutch ain't sure of.

inspector, if there's a centrifugal clutch and pull start, she won't have that problem. With no clutch, it'll be like how you say.

Are you saying on a pull start you can start out at a dead stop without pedaling?

If the sprocket is on the clutch bell, the engine will pull start.

If the sprocket or drive roller is attached to the flywheel, then the engine cannot be started at a dead stop.....
unless the engine is leveraged off the rear tire.

The bike can be pedaled to 5mph.Then the engine can be lowered onto the rear tire and fired up.

Last edited:
Well guys I guess I ended up with a stihl 031av chainsaw. It's pretty old, but everything looks good. It's a 48cc. The carb is super small. The brand is a tillotson HU series. We're gonna try this one 10" wheels is possible. Can I go with a lower gear ratio with the higher cc's? Would 9:1 or 10:1 be a safe place to start?

Well guys I guess I ended up with a stihl 031av chainsaw. It's pretty old, but everything looks good. It's a 48cc. The carb is super small. The brand is a tillotson HU series. We're gonna try this one 10" wheels is possible. Can I go with a lower gear ratio with the higher cc's? Would 9:1 or 10:1 be a safe place to start?
I would think that 10 to 1 is a bit low for an adult weight but should still work it just may be hard on the clutch,But for a childs weight up to 100 lbs it should work fine!I have one pocket bike with no gear box for extra reduction and it has the 6t clutch bell and turns a 56t gear out back at the 10" wheel so a 9.3 ratio and it pulls me no problem!

Last edited:
I would think that 10 to 1 is a bit low for an adult weight but should still work it just may be hard on the clutch,But for a childs weight up to 100 lbs it should work fine!
You mean a bit HIGH on the gear ratio. The larger the numerical ratio, the lower the gearing. ie, I have super low gearing at 46:1 ratio.

Back