What makes you choose motorized bicycles?

My parents don't want me to ride a motorcycle so MBs are kind of a loophole for me since they go slower.

I can relate to a few comment s so far. I find it fun to tinker with small motors to get the most out of them, and I enjoy riding a bike I built and tweaked. I also have a honda ruckus I throw on the back of our motorhome as a "lifeboat" for deep boonies camping(where my little son can stand on the foot board and putter around with me). you do some mods and go out on local streets and you can WOT all you like, go back tweak and try again.

This is a very frustrating and rewarding hobby, but when I'm out humming along I forget about the struggles. Right now I'm heading into the challenge of a new build, all sorts of headaches await me. But thanks to a member here who has helped me from the start, I have a pretty good understanding of what and why I'm doing what I do. He also still answers my many silly questions.

The honda is more of pia to work on, jetting is such a pain compared to my bike where the carb is just sitting there in the open. the honda is probably more comfortable and quiet, but not as fun or practical. Mods are expensive and incremental in outcome, lucky I also found a guy who lives for scooters and he has helped me learn the tuning on that. I can ride almost any street in my area on the bike, because I'm not forced into the flow of traffic. My first build was a 60kph ride for me, the ruckus tweaked so far is 63 (most my mods improve low end where it's anemic stock). no engine work. so on a road where flow is 80 kph, I'm not riding my ruckus. But in the wide painted shoulder, I'm 10 feet away from the bigger stuff. I don't really ride in traffic, but there are many more routes for me on the bike than the scooter.

I don't want to get into motorcycles, I've driven by a bad scene that left me praying for the guy. I know everybody feels their city has the worst drivers, well that's how I feel. I'm a mb hobbyist only, and tend to ride in relaxed times in relaxed areas and try to stay aware and visible with lights front and back. But when I go WOT on either ride, it's pretty mellow compared to what I would end up getting into with a motorcycle. I've ridden friends newer rides when out camping, even the atvs are insane. And as many point out, it's pretty cheap for the fun it provides.

Driving a vehicle in Florida is dangerous. On a moyorized bicycle its less stressful. South florida gives retarded people a DL for 10 years without any kind of test.
I'd rather ride my bike. Say fk yall and scream right thru a red light. Often getting from point a to point b quicker than traffic during rush hour. No rules and i hate authority plus the cops dont fk with u unless your acting stupid and dangerously.
All republicans care about is money. They dont give a s**t if they give a 92 yr old woman a 10 DL and she plows thru a convienent store killing people. Shes still given a DL or that kid just outta high school who pays more attention to his cell phone than road safety.
Fk that. Get a motorized bike and tell them all to fk off.
Lol

Driving a vehicle in Florida is dangerous. On a moyorized bicycle its less stressful. South florida gives retarded people a DL for 10 years without any kind of test.
I'd rather ride my bike. Say fk yall and scream right thru a red light. Often getting from point a to point b quicker than traffic during rush hour. No rules and i hate authority plus the cops dont fk with u unless your acting stupid and dangerously.
All republicans care about is money. They dont give a sh*t if they give a 92 yr old woman a 10 DL and she plows thru a convienent store killing people. Shes still given a DL or that kid just outta high school who pays more attention to his cell phone than road safety.
Fk that. Get a motorized bike and tell them all to fk off.
Lol
This is incorrect.

You should still obey traffic laws even on a plain pedal bicycle. Also, in FL you should be over 16yo with a License to operate an MB since we don't consider them assisted bicycles anymore. They are mopeds, and in FL you should legally have them tagged and own a valid license. Not every cop enforces it and I have no problems where I live(I have a DL anyway), but I have a guy in Orange City that I do repairs for who has been riding one for years who is disabled with no valid DL and now he is selling it due to cops constantly harassing him and telling him he has to pedal home.

Not to mention blowing red lights is a good way to get killed, especially in FL where nobody knows how to drive.

Can't he get a Moped endorsement? they have them here in MN. ..........Curt

Like blowing thru red lights?
Yes. If no traffic.... Or intersection is clear.... Yes. I'll blow right thru lol
Then your friend must be known as a law breaker or lives in a small town.
Where I live is south Palm Beach and several different county, city and state police. None of them have harassed me. Even full throttle. They just keep going. Cops in your friends City must be really bored if they're always telling him the pedal home maybe what he should do is pedal while his Motors on and maybe the cops won't mess with him.
And I obey the laws of the road, most drivers on the road don't do that and that's what the cops are worried about not a bicycle with a motor on it.
I dont even were a helmet. I know i should but a cop hasnt even asked me about. They love it. As I stated before. Cops dont care. They have more serious s**t to worry than guy on a motorized bike on the sidewalk because that road doesnt have a bike lane.

Last edited by a moderator:
well, i have multiple reasons
1. cheap! i can get a whole kit for a bike for 100$, one of my buddies 2 stroke rebuilt cost him 350!
2. you can ride them without registration (for the most part) try registering a motorcycle and you'll be out the cost of my build 3X over.
3. there fun to mess around on, really a 10 minute port job can make the bike go from 24mph to 39+!

thats my main reasons.
(yes i also own a mini bike, those Honda clones never die)

This is incorrect.

You should still obey traffic laws even on a plain pedal bicycle. Also, in FL you should be over 16yo with a License to operate an MB since we don't consider them assisted bicycles anymore. They are mopeds, and in FL you should legally have them tagged and own a valid license. Not every cop enforces it and I have no problems where I live(I have a DL anyway), but I have a guy in Orange City that I do repairs for who has been riding one for years who is disabled with no valid DL and now he is selling it due to cops constantly harassing him and telling him he has to pedal home.

Not to mention blowing red lights is a good way to get killed, especially in FL where nobody knows how to drive.
In the state of Florida you don't need to register your motorized bicycle as long as it does not go over 35 miles per hour and is smaller than a 50cc.
A moped is a moped. The motorized bicycle is still a bicycle. I've asked County Sheriff's, city cops, and Florida Highway Patrol and none of them are concerned with the motor that's on my bicycle most of them have told me hey that's a nice bike you got and no mention of how fast it goes

Back