What type of helmet do you wear

Helmet

Something from Target it had built in speakers but they Sucked. do not buy. too quiet to hear even on a regular bike. Sprayed it black. Dont always wear it but should.

Any recommendations for a "vintage" looking but legal helmet? I plan on styling my bike after a 1920's vintage motorized bicycle but all the old photos I've seen have riders with no helmets. I'm leaning towards one of the half helmets, but those aren't particularly "vintage" looking. Ideas?

Any recommendations for a "vintage" looking but legal helmet? I plan on styling my bike after a 1920's vintage motorized bicycle but all the old photos I've seen have riders with no helmets. I'm leaning towards one of the half helmets, but those aren't particularly "vintage" looking. Ideas?

that's going to depend on your local helmet laws-- are helmets required for mopeds but not bicycles? Here in Wisconsin, MBs are classified as "bicycles". Helmets are not a legal requirement for bicycles. Therefore, you would not be required to wear a helmet on a MB here, though it's a good idea to wear one.

While many people on this site wear DOT helmets, any helmet-- bicycle, skateboard, hockey-- is going to be more protection than no helmet. (if your head is hitting a stationary object at high speed, you have more to worry about with neck injury than skull injury)

Check out my link to that leather tanker helmet. You might like that.

I don't know if this is DOT, but this might be close to the look you are going for:

Brown leather covered helmet

(here's a link to an eBay.com US listing Brown Leather Helmet)

Last edited:
Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
I use my whitewater kayaking hemet when I ride. It's not DOT approved, but it's saved my noggin more times that I can count. When being tossed around in holes, my head got beat off the rocks more than my paddle did. (photo attached)

Attachments

• n637404291_1396774_8370868.jpg
    n637404291_1396774_8370868.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:
Bike helmet, and more preaching

The same one I wear when non motor biking. And all the time, short trips or long. But I do confess to wearing shorts and t shirts. If I go down, I won't be dead, I'll just wish I was.

Less chance of accidental paralysis is a plus. My wife is an ER nurse, and has never seen an injured motorcycle rider refuse emergency care, even if they have no health insurance. Remember Tutor Turtle? - "Heeeeelp, Mr Wizard....."

My wife is an ER nurse, and has never seen an injured motorcycle rider refuse emergency care, even if they have no health insurance. Remember Tutor Turtle? - "Heeeeelp, Mr Wizard....."

An ER nurse told me they call motorcycles, "donor-cycles". Good source of young, healthy organs for transplanting. I wear a DOT approved scooter style half helmet and leather gloves every time I ride, even if it's just around the block.

Back