What would your dream build consist of?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can build it as bullet-proof and vapour-light as you like. It's a dream build. 😇

Who on here's got carbon rims? 🤩

Environmentally carbon fibre construction is a permanent pile of waste. You cannot recycle your old carbon rims or frames, bars and stuff in any way except to fill up a hole in the ground. 😥
I would probably allow myself just one of each bicycle component in carbon fibre (but not the frame), if I got the chance.
I had a very frugal and short life, and now i deserve to damage the world for my own benefit a bit before I 🥰 off like every 😇 else does anyway. 🤣

My actual dream M/B for the last few years has been a Worksman Cycles Drop loop frame with a Honda 160cc
I would order all the special parts from www.sportsmanflyer.com to make my own special cruiser style M/B not a BTR
The only thing that has been holding me back is, It would cost me close to $3k to make it right. My Dream M/B is in my future plans.

Just saying this for clarity.. the Shift Kit is an actual product name. It is from the people who developed the earliest shifting motorised bikes in the hobby on this very forum. A jackshaft kit, on the other hand, could be any jackshaft with any mount hardware, but is referring to a Chinese factory's knockoff of one of the earliest version of the superior Shift Kit from Sick Bike Parts in the USA.
The differences between them are technically significant. Sick Bike Parts Shift Kit is the technically better product, and the better buying option for USA people who can enjoy free delivery.
There are some related parts available from SBP (and Staton-inc) to make anything you want or can from the Shift Kit and related parts. You don't have to put it together exactly the way the Shift Kit®️ comes.
I got the Chinese jackshaft kit though, because I'm in the stinky UK.

Furry, I actually built my own shift kit for a 48cc China Girl. Can't find any pictures at the moment but used 1/4" steel for the jackshaft frame and press in bearings. It worked well, but didn't increase speed or acceleration any beyond the standard single speed kit. The jackshaft kit had more drag so I found I actually needed the gearing more. It was better for slower speeds and off-road. Raising engine compression made it harder to kick start and eventually stripped the one-way clutch. Keep the compression down for the shifter bikes.

I was planning on making an aluminum jackshaft frame but never did. It would have saved a pound or two. I did drill the devil out of the steel frame, which helped. I think I used 5/8" shaft which is overkill. 1/2" or hollow or alloy tube would be fine. #41 chain was ample. I probably have a thread on here detailing that build from about 3 years ago.

I'm living in the city now. Still dreaming about a gas/electric hybrid that could discretely cruise green lanes, while still able to cover long distances on gas, maybe even charging while doing it.

Furry, I actually built my own shift kit for a 48cc China Girl. Can't find any pictures at the moment but used 1/4" steel for the jackshaft frame and press in bearings. It worked well, but didn't increase speed or acceleration any beyond the standard single speed kit. The jackshaft kit had more drag so I found I actually needed the gearing more. It was better for slower speeds and off-road. Raising engine compression made it harder to kick start and eventually stripped the one-way clutch. Keep the compression down for the shifter bikes.

I was planning on making an aluminum jackshaft frame but never did. It would have saved a pound or two. I did drill the devil out of the steel frame, which helped. I think I used 5/8" shaft which is overkill. 1/2" or hollow or alloy tube would be fine. #41 chain was ample. I probably have a thread on here detailing that build from about 3 years ago.

I'm living in the city now. Still dreaming about a gas/electric hybrid that could discretely cruise green lanes, while still able to cover long distances on gas, maybe even charging while doing it.
You know, I'm just trying to keep Shift Kit capitalized, to the credit of the forum members who gave it to us and to highlight the importance of dreaming.
I want our members to remember this was our story that happened right here on our forum, about our hobbyistic daydreaming turned into metal, and the story is still here in the threads of discussion and daydreams and dreamy builds.
You can go back and read the whole of our forum and see how the dream progresses through time, and where we have been, where we travelled through, where it comes to now, to know where we are right now and where we're dreaming about going next!! 🥺

Newer members should know that they have a debt of gratitude for those two innovative dreamers who gave us all the possibility to try the Sick Bikes Parts Shift Kit and its associated products.

Use the Shift Kit and its parts in all the sick and dreamy ways you can dream of, and let's keep the sick dream going! 🥰🥰🥰

Yep, a dreamylight aluminium box frame holding the shaft very rigidly, can have less flex for a similar weight as mild steel plate construction, or vice versa.
It might be easier to shape and drill initially at home, but then it needs to be welded professionally, and then it requires the heat treatment procedures that are essential before it becomes the stiff and light construction we dreamed about.
(so beyond realworld hope that I can use alloy box for any of my realworld builds, hence dream builds thread).

Idk how you drilled accurately for the jackshaft bearings or how you keep them in place...
biggg arse drill stand..? Put collars on the shaft or you found a lathe person who could make the cups and caps... like QR15 front hubs? I would love to see what can be dreamed up to prevent any binding and make it a simple assembly? 🤔🤔🤔

Did you use the Z arrangement of the Shift Kit? There are other arrangements that you can choose, should you dream to do so!

I would love to see the Y arrangement on my dream fat-hybrid-beachbike build, the 50SAND (realworld build thread starter almost nearly imminent!) as the 2T ICE powertrain in Y arrangement would have only two chains and four sprockets instead of the three and six in a Z arrangement.

That is why I need the assistance of an independent welder fabricator who can make the box to hold the (standard threaded 73mm BB shell?!) shaft bearings, far enough out to the rear of the engine's output sprocket to make the room to fit a large enough sprocket on the LHS of the shaft. This first chain reduction going to the shaft which must now bear far greater torsion at a much lower RPM, huge twisting stresses we can only dream of, far greater than it would have in the classic (and intentionally far more universally compatible) Z arrangement. But the Z arrangement has those same forces,nor perhaps even greater, at it's own bottom bracket. In fact the Z arrangement with two reductions and then a multiplier is a trade off (more than most people stop and think about imho) of efficiency and stresses on the frame against a universal system that anyone can bolt into most bikes with few tools and no modification of the original bicycle.

Imho. You want efficiency over everything to hit your specific target speed or power output, then yes indeed you begin with your own dreams, and then you build single-mindedly and you use the parts from the SBP Shift Kit, but you do it in your own way.

I know you can't build a damn thing without daydreaming all that through first, several dozen wonderfully enjoyable times beforehand lol.

No reason not to, because it is fun to dream and it's a fun dream, and we're allowed to be dreamers.
Its actually even our duty to dream the dream because daydreamer believers like us lot on motoredbikes.com are bloody good at it!! 🤤😴😪🤯🥳🤔🤔🤔🤔🤓

I would have the dreamy hollowed out, keywayed, 5/8" mild steel shaft, case hardened just enough to be less brittle than the woodruff key. 😴🥰😇

I am 100% ready to order a dreamy jackshaft of my own, custom length, custom partially hollowed, and a little custom internally threaded, 5/8" keywayed shaft in the real world ....
but since the UK's Covid19 response is like the hugeeesssttt summer bank holiday weekender-on-a-bender, the company is listing all their products out of stock. My beautiful dream turned nightmareee! 😭😭😭🤯

Charging while it drives, now that is a literal dream build. 😅

Last edited:
No sense in dreaming about a build... just build about a dream...
No! 😲
Cant build your un-dream. Gotta havva dream. Keep on dreaming. ☺
Plenty of sense to dream that build, then build the dream into the real world the first opportunity you get! 😅

Damn thatta lovely dream is your dreamy bike build! 🤩

I just looked back on the pic when I started this bike I'm stil riding. In july it wll be 3 years. Granted 3 years ago the rear wheel cost 350, but it's 3 years of good performance. I can walk out right now and feel comfortable that it will get me there and back.

I runs it pretty smoothly. No balls out accept for every once in a while. Few and far in between. I don't regret the choice. When it does fail as all things do I will do it again, probably lace one into a 24" with a 3" tire for the next one. Wish I would have thought about that in the beginning.

View media item 60813
Nothing like popping in and listen to Fury and Steve extrapolate. Love you guys. Thanks for the wisdom.
View media item 61474
View media item 61555

Last edited:
I just looked back on the pic when I started this bike I'm stil riding. In july it wll be 3 years. Granted 3 years ago the rear wheel cost 350, but it's 3 years of good performance. I can walk out right now and feel comfortable that it will get me there and back.

I run it pretty smothly. No balls out accept for every once in a while. Few and far in between. I don't regret the choice. When it does fail as all things do I will do it again, probably lace one into a 24" with a 3" tire for the next one. Wish I would have thought about that in the beginning.

View media item 60813
Nothing like popping in and listen to Fury and Steve extrapolate. Love you guys. Thanks for the wisdom.
Just keep dreaming your dream bike Gary! 🤩
The "fit a 24 rim with 3 inch tyre rear wheel" dream just put a big smile on this guys face and dop(amine)ed up my imagination too! 🥰🥰🥰
Its gonna be so phat as phuck and look RAD and give you a WIDE grin when you ride it! 🤟😁

Plus it'll be nicer to roll the fat rear tyre up onto the kerb to park without slowing to 2mph and feeling vulnerable nearly stopping in the roadway.There are always practical components of the dreams of our members, not just the grin-seeking and wanting to be rad, haha, it makes our forum the best. ✌😉

Here's my first jack shaft bike and the second bike I owned. What a beauty. sometimes things that look great and ride really comfortable don;t live that long. A friend of mines idea. Good welder. And so. Pic 2 is my idea. Shimano 4 speed came with the bike. Loved it. Still have it sittlin in the tool shed collecting dust. Ran fine when I parked it. I know I'm beating a broken drum, but the nuvinci just made it ho hum.
View media item 60725
View media item 60358
View media item 61557

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back