99% done... 196cc push trailer!

Hey Mac, where did you get the 20% Coupon from? Im picking up an engine this week and I have a raincheck for the sale price on the engine + a $35 gift certificate. A coupon would be a great addition in price drop.

It was $129.99 in the store and then I used a 20% off coupon.

You have to get on their email list. In a period of a month or two I think I saw 2-3 20% off coupons emailed to me, all expired now though.

They seem to send out 1-2 emails a week showing their specials. I haven't seen a 20% off coupon in a while, but they do email them out from time to time.

On your parts list it shows a #35 Roller Chain. Is that just a tension gear? Also, it says 16" jackshaft, is that the axle? Im getting my parts list ready so i want to get all the right parts the first time.

On your parts list it shows a #35 Roller Chain. Is that just a tension gear? Also, it says 16" jackshaft, is that the axle? Im getting my parts list ready so i want to get all the right parts the first time.

The jackshaft is really my axle.

I only have one chain and it is 35#.

Someone else on here had another trailer build and used a jackshaft so he could center the engine/wheel. This is ideal, but you will need 2 more pillow block bearings, a jackshaft, 2 gears and a little more room on your frame.

On my build the engine is slightly off center... a little heavier on the right side... the tire is actually a little off center... a little to the left. It hasn't affected the performance as far as I can tell though. I skipped the jackshaft idea to keep the cost down.... in reality it would not have added that much, maybe an extra $30-40 in parts.

I also noticed that after the new year mfgsupply raised some of their prices. my wheel assembly was $32.99 I think, now it is $39.99.

The 6.5HP is off centered slightly, but the 2.5HP is easier because it's not as big and wide. My bro's 2.5HP trailer in the works has no jackshaft, but just a 10T clutch to a 48T sprocket (40 chain) and it lines up fine. The off-center isn't a big deal, but it's nice to keep it in mind.

I find that either engine is heavier on the right side, and some extra weight on the left will help to balance better. A heavy battery and other stuff would do the job.

Last edited:
Hey Sane, How is the 2.5 coming along? How is the power on those engines?

It was coming along slowly, but now it should be rolling in under a week.

The thing holding it back was that the steel 48T sprocket was needing to be welded to the 5/8 axle hub, but I welded that yesterday with my new DIY car-battery welder, so now a few adjustments and testing is needed now!

I'm VERY excited as I've really been wanting to see how well these 2.5's perform vs the 6.5's. I'm hoping for 150MPG, but we'll have to wait and see.

Last edited:
Macarollo, how is it riding at a high speed? Does it wobble any, or balance just fine?

Have you tried another 40+mph run again?

Here are some more pictures...

I think today I hit 41mph, but I haven't tried to go all out yet. I like that it cruises really fast at a low RPM and it is quiet.

I wish that I didn't have to pedal off the start though... but it isn't that long. Usually I pedal up to 8-10mph then twist the throttle. I can feel the clutch slipping until I hit about 20mph, then I think it is fully engaged.

Today one of the gas tank bolts vibrated loose and I lost it. There are two more bolts so I put loctite on them and tightened them up pretty good. Tomorrow I will ride to Lowes to get another bolt.

Also, I bought 1" collars at tractor supply to keep the swivel mount from sliding up and down the seat post... works great.

I do plan to add 2 more pipes and reinforce the front mount on the trailer a little. I will beef that up this weekend. Even with just one skinny pipe it feels secure, but I can feel it bouncing over bumps although I think it still will bounce with 2-3 total pipes.

Attachments

• 196CC Push Trailer 004.JPG
    196CC Push Trailer 004.JPG
    148.6 KB · Views: 401
  • 196CC Push Trailer 005.JPG
    196CC Push Trailer 005.JPG
    155.3 KB · Views: 382
  • 196CC Push Trailer 006.JPG
    196CC Push Trailer 006.JPG
    146.7 KB · Views: 356
  • 196CC Push Trailer 007.JPG
    196CC Push Trailer 007.JPG
    133.7 KB · Views: 373
  • 196CC Push Trailer 009.JPG
    196CC Push Trailer 009.JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 379
  • 196CC Push Trailer 011.JPG
    196CC Push Trailer 011.JPG
    129.2 KB · Views: 349
  • 196CC Push Trailer 013.JPG
    196CC Push Trailer 013.JPG
    136.8 KB · Views: 370
Macarollo, how is it riding at a high speed? Does it wobble any, or balance just fine?

Have you tried another 40+mph run again?

No wobbles, and even though the tire and engine are not completely centered you cannot feel that it is off balance. I pushes you straight and turns feel good too... usually I slow down a lot for turns.

Back