72V 3000W Cyclone Electric and Gas Generator Build (SBP kit) - Three Phase Dev

Thanks, I want to try to do a long run tomorrow 40-60 miles but I am in constant pain and need to get it taken care of. I did make a quick run today to the store like 10 miles and ended up with more voltage when I got back. Its a 20-22 mph cruise bike and in city with stop lights you can really speed it up hills and hit faster speeds as at the red lights that power just gets put back into the battery. I really like it so far.
You are getting me very tempted.

You are getting me very tempted.

This Friday I need to go activate my new phone at AT&T which is a 20 mile round trip. I will make a video of part of the ride and test it then. The plan is to really test it out this summer/fall with that long cross the state ride (~300 miles) but I am also planning to ride it to Chicago (~100 mile one way). But, I definitely want to integrate the generator in mid frame of a larger fat tire bike with a premium branded cell battery pack on top tube; I know this can be done. Will I have the funds and time to do it? If I do I will work on it fall/winter and then go across the country next year if things work out.

That being said, if you like the results please do investigate it and go ahead and build it I would love to see it done well and professionally built. Goes for everyone too. If you have any questions or want me to do a certain test let me know.

Here is my observations thus far. I think pricing should be around $700-1000 to get the a mid frame integrated ebike generator hybrid done depending on if you have a bike or not.

- It is a 20-22 mph cruise bike with peak speed of 40 mph,
- Three modes (pedal bike, assist bike, and pure motorbike)
- Two charge modes (3A assist and 5A motorbike)
- Higher MPG than gas motorbikes (~250 mpg)
- Actual real world 150-200 mile range at 20-22 mph with full battery
- Generator is incredibly reliable 1,2 pulls with minimal maintenance (just oil change)
- Electric drive chain just needs oil on chain though I should have before the motor casing rusted up opened it and packed the internal gears with premium grease and sealed it again. Too late now
- Generator noise can be extremely low. I know more can be done. Especially at 2-3A I think it can be barely audible with good engineering and design in mid frame
- Replace the charger with a Meanwell power supply with programmable voltage and amps
- Can ride it on bike trails here no problem (no motored vehicles including gas MBs); generator is simple to restart
- Don't need to use generator all the time if I am running to the store that is like 2miles away I just go without the generator

Is this better than a gas motorized bike? I would say its difficult to say you lose cruise speed but you do gain more reliability, stealth mode, less maintenance, and a bit less noise. Probably about even. Is it better than an ebike? Yes, I would say so I would add a little noise to be able to cruise forever and I can still use it as an ebike if I wanted.

Attachments

• s-l1600 (2).jpg
    s-l1600 (2).jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 285
One thing I'm waiting for: generator mods. You aren't limited to keeping it in it's stock box. You can properly mount the engine with the generator mid frame like a regular motorized bike build, except its sideways, and relocate all the peripheral electronics elsewhere. You can rig up a kill switch and possibly get a starter motor to work. It would be epic if it auto-kills the engine at max charge and starts it at 80% using an arduino or something. You are doing what I've been dreaming about for a few years. If locomotives can get 200 mpg with this tech, why can't cars and motorcycles?

Last edited:
I did 30 mile run to the Harley dealership and parked my bike right in front of their door. LOL :ROFLMAO: and went in to look at their motorcycles and get news about the Livewire release date. The lady there actually really liked the hybrid bike. I will be back for the Livewire public release in August for sure. Strong headwind going there and tailwind coming back. Went a bit faster than the 20mph cruise especially into that headwind so ended up using 2.3-2.5V drop for that 30 mile ride but I coulda always just stopped for like 10-20 minutes to recharge that loss. The ride was real good; no worries about any components though that excessive rattle I found out was due to a nut being loose in my kickstand. Next step is to try it out for 50 mile.

I found out that I use this bike in about 4 different ways that can only be done with hybrid.

1. As a regular pedal bike, the Cyclone free wheel on the motor cog is so smooth. I take the generator off for this and just get some good exercise though if a spandex tries to flex on me I will smoke him then sulk off somewhere and pedal again :ROFLMAO:

2. As an ebike, chores or errands within 5 miles I just use it as an ebike. Very quiet and can go on trails too

3. As a distance slow cruiser, the 5A charger is a bit loud but the 3A is quiet so I use 3A and like 12-15mph assist plus me pedaling to get like ~17mph for long distances

4. As a motorbike/cruiser, use 5A and only pedal to help it off the line to reduce wear but 20-25 mph cruise all the way; try to hug that breakeven point if I could but some battery power use is fine as you can just stop and let it charge

Did not break my new phone on second day this time due to bike phone holder. :sneaky:

Any pics of the bike from a side view to see the whole setup?

Any pics of the bike from a side view to see the whole setup?

Swap between 240W and 420W charger by unplugging the AC plug from generator. Plugs are right by the generator outlet; should take less than 2 seconds. Unfortunately, since I decided to put the exhaust behind me the only way to restart generator is to remove it (two heavy duty bungee cords) and restart it. Or, could put exhaust pointing front and restart on bike. I decided to have exhaust behind over benefit of restarting on bike since I use it continuously for hour+ on long rides.

Attachments

• Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 291
  • Left.jpg
    Left.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 303
  • Right.jpg
    Right.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 278
WOW is all I can say. Mad Max bike. Only thing missing is a FD setup on the rear. Congrats on the tech and know how to put it all together!

i get so many mad max jokes and wtf comments for the side generator that i might just make the inline fat tire generator version this summer... i can look for a big frame and not disassemble the generator mebe just cut some of the plastic to fit it. also, actually ran out of gas and dropped bike while restarting generator. broke throttle plastic face and phone mount. phone is fine ty goodness... if i break two new phones so soon ill just retire from everything.

Back