72V 3000W Cyclone Electric and Gas Generator Build (SBP kit) - Three Phase Dev

Here are the insides of the generator. Originally, I thought it would be difficult to disassemble the generator but looking at the insides it might be rather straight forward with the exception of the fuel peacock and pull cord. I think those two are actually integrated into the plastic case in which case I have to cut the cord and pull the peacock? But the engine itself seems to be only held on to the case by 4 small hex nuts horizontally at the bottom. Remove that then unscrew all the horizontal screws and I think the case just falls off of the engine. Then reposition the fuel tank (longer fuel line) and electric panel/alternator (longer wires), which will give me like 4-5 inches on the top and 3-4 by the electrical panel.

This means it will definitely fit in a cruiser frame with pretty high certainty. Will it fit in that fat tire bike frame which is considerably smaller? I dunno. Problem is that fat tire bike is like $350 and only online. Not like I can go to the store and measure it. But, maybe even the cruiser will be okay for now and work/learn about inlining the engine.

Attachments

• IMG_20190606_122245.jpg
    IMG_20190606_122245.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_20190606_122410.jpg
    IMG_20190606_122410.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 292
Okay, been riding it around for a while now. That side generator really, really attracts too much attention I think more than a regular motorized bicycle. I just finished a 42 mile ride today starting at like less than 50% state of charge, which for a 42 mile ride is not possible on an ebike and road in a chic town without the generator on which is not possible with a gas bike.

But, I decided to get a cruiser bike with a 7 speed rear cassette and a S shaped down tube and then take the engine out of its plastic casing and stick it into the frame. At most without the plastic, the generator engine should be 9" tall and 10-12" length depending on the pull cord housing. Mounting it will be fun as the mount bolts are not on the bottom of the engine casing but at the sides.

I really want a fat tire bike look and also for off road touring possibilities but the ones online for cheap frame seems just too small and too risky to buy. I don't think this cruiser bike will be able to fit a fat tire; maybe a 3" wheel/tire if I am lucky which would be great.

Here is the diagram that I made of where things might go on the cruiser bike. I will remove the bird, cup holder, and big seat and repaint it to a Ducati Panigale color scheme when everything is tested and solid.

Will this fit the generator (11"x9")? I think so just by estimation...

Attachments

• design-new.jpg
    design-new.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 266
Frames with 135mm dropout width don't usually accept fat tyres. Even 3".
Frames that do, usually have 150mm+ dropouts: too wide for your motor hub.

Does the popular gas tank frame not have room for the motor?

Frames with 135mm dropout width don't usually accept fat tyres. Even 3".
Frames that do, usually have 150mm+ dropouts: too wide for your motor hub.

Does the popular gas tank frame not have room for the motor?

yeh i thought of that (BBR Tuning frame) but then im like i just need to get that generator in the frame for now so it looks decent and i can ride across state without sticking out like a sore thumb and people wont just steal my generator if I am parked for a long time :ROFLMAO:. the stock gas tank is .66 gallon which is approximately the same size as the gas tank on the BBR Tuning. the other side of this is to keep cost down for a budget version comparison against 2 and 4 stroke setups.

bike = $140 (expensive...)
1kW motor = $160
500-700wH battery = $300-400
generator = $150
charger/power supply = $50
TOTAL = $850

Yeah, I guess that is not even close to a 2 or 4 stroke kit... Mebe you can shave off another $100 for a 300-400 wH battery. Eh, maybe that concept is dead in the water and this will just have to be a premium build.

bike = $140 (expensive...)

I'm sure you haven't seen the $400 "base model" GIANT ATX then? TBH I think this is complicating things way too much I can see the idea using gas to charge an electric motor but it will be too bulky and you are still causing noise and pollution. Which isn't that why people run just electric instead? :unsure: either way a front electric hub and rear gas drive config would have more power and the mechanical energy wouldn't be wasted on the electricity. Electric in town gas for commute. I wanted to make my Schwinn have electric start and lights and stuff but I realized it was just too complicating and I needed to find a stopping point as the belts kept snapping and it wasn't fun anymore.

David Staton built a gas/electric gearbox a while back. It allowed an electric motor to provide assist to a small cc gas engine. I've often thought about setting up a system much like some of the hybrid cars. To where the electric motor provides assist to a small cc engine. However when the electric motor isn't being used it acts like a generator to put charge back into the battery.

One could use a drive system for the motor much like the Golden Eagle system uses. This way the left side of the rear wheel drives the motor when the motor isn't being used to provide assist to the engine. I feel it could be accomplished using a double shaft motor. Yes I already know a clutching and freewheel system would have to be used to do this. Until solar systems are improved gas/electric is the most efficient thing going right now.

Yeah, this all might be a waste of time and money but the design choice to go with a single electric drive system is for simplicity in maintenance and also reliability. On my 500W gearless hub motor, I literally went 3k miles and never did anything with it and it performs as well as the day I bought it. The 3kW Cyclone mid drive though has caused me some issues but has little/no maintenance when compared to 2 and 4 stroke kits. This design is dissimilar to the Prius and the one Staton built which are parallel hybrid systems while this bike is a range-extender hybrid system (BMW i3, Honda Jazz), which is also similar to modern cruise ships and locomotives (no battery). The generator itself is very efficient, my hybrid MPG is like 150-200 mpg depending on the charging amperage. It is also relatively quiet at operating RPM (420W) when compared to 2-strokes and is kinda close to the noise of a new 4-stroke. Though as many have pointed out here I can do more to reduce the sound, which I will do.

Yeah, this will probably be the last major change I do to the bike. It is okay as it is now but the side pannier generator just attracts too much attention. Really want the fat tire look especially for some off/extremely loose roads possibilities. But, I think this cruiser with 2" tires is fine. I am going to take my time to make it look on par with decent builds out there since I already know and am satisfied with the hybrid system performance.

In terms of pricing, it is probably exactly where it should be as it is in the car industry. It cost ~$900 (including bike) and sits somewhere between the gas and electric bikes. Though, ideally, I would like to cost to be closer to $600 to be really competitive with gas bikes and cause people to decide on a premium gas bike build or a cheap hybrid.

We will see guys... :sneaky:

Back