Another Schwinn Chopper build

So far I've picked up a BMI peanut tank, Kalloy seat-post and a saddle and added a left-hand freewheel to the rear wheel and made use of the OEM 44t chainring. A full-coverage OEM rear-fender is in the mail as is a Hayes V9 9" brake rotor for the front.

The rotor is gonna be a bit tricky since the front fork on these things comes down where the rotor needs to be. I'm not gonna be able to simply build a disc-brake wheel to suit my needs like I did with my cruiser, I'm going to have to modify the OEM hub to accommodate a rotor while maintaining clearance with the fork.

chopper01.JPG

It's getting there. Gotta modify the top tree to accept the extra rake and then I can weld the frame back together. Still brain-storming ideas for the chain. I have to offset it about 1" but without moving the motor. I refuse to offset the motor. I'm thinking jack-shaft behind the seat-post.

chopper05.JPG

I love coming home to presents! Looks like the postman had his work cut out for him today!(Well, yesterday) My jackshaft came, chain adjusters, brake bleed kit and some bits for what I'll be covering in this post: adapters to use a hydraulic bicycle brake with a motorbike lever.

xmas.JPG

I'll be using the bicycle brake line since trying to adapt a motorbike line to the very small banjo fitting on the caliper would be extremely difficult. To start, I needed something that would adapt the M10(10mm) port on the motorbike lever to something a bit more standard and something the size I needed. Fortunately there's a guy on eBay who makes custom adapters for Fox Mustangs that go from M10 to 3/8". SWEET!

fitting.JPG

But it wasn't as simple as that. I still needed to modify the 3/8 female double-flare end to accommodate the soft bicycle line and compression-type fitting. The end looks pretty much exactly the opposite of what I needed it to look like.

fitting06.JPG

I ordered some of the corresponding flare nuts and some 3/16" 'olives' (which I just found out is the proper term for the compression sleeves).

fitting05.JPG

Then to work on the custom adapter. I just started rummaging through tools and I found that a #1 center drill, when used like an endmill, would give me a nice taper and a slight counterbore for the hose barb to fit in. This counterbore is of utmost importance because the olive needs to grip firmly onto the hose and the barb simultaneously to seal them and prevent them from coming apart.

fitting04.JPG

The 3/16 olive didn't quite fit over the 5mm line so I had to ream it out but this is the two pieces on the line. I already assembled this before I realized I forgot to take a picture. Notice the barb sticking out of the olive slightly.

chopperbrake01.JPG

And together.

chopperbrake02.JPG

I knew I wanted to route the line through the fork tube to keep the install clean so I had already drilled a hole in the bottom of the one tube but wasn't quite sure what I wanted to do up top. For fear of ruining a perfectly nice fork tube, I just drilled the plastic cap and ran the line out of that. Turns out I like this idea better than anything else I was thinking of doing.

chopperbrake04.JPG

A nice little grommet in the bottom protects the line.

chopperbrake05.JPG

I haven't bled it yet, I'm going to wait til it's warm enough to do it outside, but for bleeding I'm just going to follow the instructions here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzZkEIrCBJ0
I still want to get rid of the large reservoir first anyways. It's the wrong color, it's large, the bracket is flimsy, it just generally sucks. I'm prolly gonna need to disassemble all of this anyways to weld the frame back together. No sense in bleeding twice.

I got a few parts in the mail today as well. Pretty fancy with the hydro brakes. Nice cam work too for that matter. I think ya can get a nice billet reservoir off Ebay for your setup. I might even consider one for e big bike, if I liked the look, and the price.
Brian L.

As of current, this project is dead in the water. I was just cited for "unregistered motorcycle" and "no plate" and had my bicycle impounded. Apparently I did something to catch the attention of the police so I highly doubt they're going to be alright with this thing once it's done. I have no intention on attempting to make this thing road legal so I'm probably just going to part it out.

If you had a engine over 49 cc, a speed over 20MPH, had inoperable pedals, and was riding it on the street, they have you dead to rights. Just a few lights and plates, would have made it legal for a regular DL to use. Darn sorry you got cought and had fines levied. I'm sure you will find buyers for your parts, once you get it back.
Brian L.

That may be true in Wisconsin but the way my lawyer explained it to me was that anything that's not explicitly human-powered, it's a motor vehicle in NYS.

Last edited:
I had completely disassembled this and stuck it in the corner but I bought a brand new welder last week so I couldn't resist working on it. It's nice to finally see this thing in one piece and able to stand on its own.

chopper07.JPG

Now that looks like a nice ride. Progress indeed, wish I could say more for myself. The only thing I have acomplished was to air up all my tire4s that went flat over the winter. Not much more I can do as my cash flow is tied up in buying back my old diesel van.

Attachments

• coolvan.jpg
    coolvan.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 824
not to raise a zombie from the dead, but whatever happened here? very similar nto my build, this has me interested

Back