best way to remove factory frame decals?

crhbomb

Local time
5:52 PM
hi all -

what's the best way to remove factory frame decals?
[especially old and sun-baked ones]

thanks for the reply. i've got a dremel - and going to try using a brass wire brush attachment. i'll let you know what happens.

I put WD40 on let it soak for 10 minutes and the sticker came right off with a hard plastic spatula/scrapper. Soap and water to take off the WD.

wd-40 did not work. since i'm eventually going to repaint the frame, i'm going to try dabbing some paint stripper on the decals. i'll let you guys know - how i shakes out.

btw: i dismantled the rear wheel and removed the tire yesterday to paint (and clear coat) the wheel - so it matches the front one. it's all back together now - after LOTS of fine tuning of the wheel, chain, and chain tension idler (even though i marked everything before removing stuff). check out the pic.

Attachments

• photo(11).jpg
    photo(11).jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 408
I usually use a hair drier and a plastic scraper. Found a heat gun was usually too brutal on the paint. Likes to make it bubble. Then WD-40 to get rid of the sticky stuff. and soap and water to get rid of the WD-40.

thanks for the reply. that's weird you mentioned a heat gun. i bought one today at lunch. it has 2 settings. i'll try the low setting and a really thin credit card-shaped plastic card. i'll let you guys know how it works.

Back