best way to remove factory frame decals?

Heat is the only way. I'm a sign guy by trade. The only cheat that works is a rubber wheel and a drill. It's like an eraser about 4" diameter. I prefer the heat and peel method. Get a corner up and heat it and let it cool a bit so the sticker doesn't just tear. There is a sweet spot between too hot and not hot enough. Good luck. It's a Sh**** job any way you slice it.

Thanks Neon

I usually use a hair drier and a plastic scraper. Found a heat gun was usually too brutal on the paint. Likes to make it bubble. Then WD-40 to get rid of the sticky stuff. and soap and water to get rid of the WD-40.
I'll try that next build. My brother lives in Northern Minnesota close to the Canadian border.

You're welcome Lazieboy. Wish i could have visited Minnesota back in '90. Had a chance to take a Thermo King course there. But the company decided to send a less experienced person instead of me. Oh well life goes on. After the decals are off , putting on new ones is another art form in itself. I'd much rather remove them than put new ones on any day. BTW i was using a cheap heat gun that had two settings on and off.

Last edited:
NOTE TO SELF: really thin credit card-shaped plastic cards melt (on the area your scrapping) when held near a heat gun.

i purchased the goo-gone gel. it's not cuttin' the mustard like i hoped. i let it sit for several hours too. the decal i started with is coming off only in micro-size chips - and that's in addition to zapping the area with heatgun. i am using the backside of a scrubber sponge (scuff pad) to chip way at it.

use paper towels to wrap the sticker and keep sosking the towel for a hour or so

Back