BIKEMOTORPARTS.COM...Anyone Using?

Well I've never seen snow. In Fort Campbell, Kentucky it got down to 32 degrees, but I thawed out on the plane ride to Viet Nam.:giggle:

Reserve tank and refill work EXCELLENTLY, and I use the drainplug several times a week. Gas mileage is calculated with precision.:geek:

BMP Kit Is A Good One!

I installed my 5hp GP460 engine with 1.25" one-way bearing on the BMP kit. As anticipated the combination worked VERY well on "The Iron Dragon". Engine bolts' integrity is a nonissue, even with four times the power of a generic powerplant.

To provide clearance for the engine's vaunted Dominator pipe, I cut off a HUGE chunk of steel from the BMP engine housing with no adverse effects. Since I'm not fond of the quick-release bike axle as a rear support clamp, I discarded that and devised my own bulletproof strut mounts.

Now that I've discarded the LOUDDD!!! Dom pipe, the new exhaust clears the housing easily. The bike is no longer a cop magnet, since the highly-modified engine now sounds like a mild-mannered Mitsubishi engine. :geek:

The .125" steel housing is more than adequate to support 5 hp. A 1.5 liter goped tank mounts easily on the BMP's outboard face.

The 1.25" BMP roller spins the 460 engine to 12,200rpm at 40mph. It's no strain on the engine but nerve-wracking with a LOUD!!! pipe. Sooo to relieve engine and driver, I installed a STATON 1.375" friction roller into the BMP housing. The taller spindle installed EXACTLY as anticipated and did an outstanding job of decreasing engine rpms and relieving driver stress. Now the engine sings 11,000rpm at 40mph, which is where a stock 460 engine produces maximum rpm.

:unsure:My next BMP project is a 10hp modified pocket bike engine, starting with a 1.5" friction roller. This pb engine might max out at a lower rpm, so I'll try this large roller first.

Last edited by a moderator:
My BMP install

Here is a video of me riding my MB with the BMP kit installed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9I0UFMZAzY

I am using the "no name" 49-53 cc 2-stroke motor from Monster scooter and it has plenty of power. It is not even broken in yet and it climbs all the hills in my area (so far) without slowing down. I am using the 1.250" one-way roller which works really well. I believe this motor could use the 1.5" roller to lower the rpms for better cruising. The BMP kit is great as far as I am concerned.

Bill Here are my photos: http://motoredbikes.com/album.php?albumid=746

Last edited:
It is a GREAT kit. I save a bunch of $$ from lower cost and free shipping.

Parts are interchangeable so you can use the thicker STATON mount. If you switch all parts including clutch bell, bearings and spacer, you can install STATON rollers of a different diameter.:unsure:

The BMP kit offers 1", 1.250" and 1.5" diameter rollers. What additional sizes does Staton offer? The steel on my kit is plenty heavy enough and so is the u- bracket. Nothing flexes at all, very solid. I could easily mount a 5 hp Briggs and Stratton engine on this thing.

Of course, after seeing your bike, I am already thinking of how I might mount a second engine on the back, he he. I always meant to ask you, how do you handle the throttle cables with 2 engines?

Bill

The BMP kit offers 1", 1.250" and 1.5" diameter rollers. What additional sizes does Staton offer? The steel on my kit is plenty heavy enough and so is the u- bracket. Nothing flexes at all, very solid. I could easily mount a 5 hp Briggs and Stratton engine on this thing.

Of course, after seeing your bike, I am already thinking of how I might mount a second engine on the back, he he. I always meant to ask you, how do you handle the throttle cables with 2 engines?

Bill

In addition to what BMP offers, STATON has .875", 1.125" and 1.375" spindles. The 1.375" really allows your engine to show low-mid-more top end.

STATON rollers need to be sanded down at the bearing surfaces for a slip-fit, not press-fit. That way you don't need to be a machinist to remove the friction roller from the engine housing.

Bill, the throttle cables are independent. However they work best when used together.

What's this talk about swapping BMP parts with Staton parts, such as bearings and clutch bell ? Is there a problem with BMP parts ? I haven't had a problem with any of mine yet. Way to got Bill. You're now official. Pin Stripes look good/funky too !

The disadvantage of using the BMP kit is their lack of selection of friction rollers. It is NOT an issue if you're satisfied with what BMP has to offer.

I like to experiment and have tested rollers from 1.125", 1.25", 1.375" and 1.5". The personality of a friction bike alters when you change spindles.:geek:

One thing I've noticed is that the STATON rollers have a very aggressive grip pattern. Once I developed my adjustable bulletproof rear supports, these really grab the tires.

BMP Modification

This is only specific to the BMP kit as that is what I am using but it would probably be the same for other kits that are similar.

What if I replaced my rear 26" wheel with a 20" wheel? I know the speeds would be the same. I think I see some advantages of doing this.

Lower center of gravity as the rider and the engine will be 3" lower. If the spokes on the 20" wheel are the same thickness as my 26" wheel, would they not be stronger as they do not span as long a distance as on the 26"? Also, although I have not totally checked this out, would not tires be a little cheaper and, I have seen some wide slick type tires available in 20". Not that it matters much but the smaller wheel would be a bit lighter as well.

The BMP modifications would be very minimal. Just drill 2 holes a little further up the side supports (3") and there you go.

So, anyone try this already and have there been any problems I did not consider? At first, I thought it might look funny but, I now think it would give a little rake and angle similar to a chopper that has a smaller diameter wheel in the back. And, the seat height would be 3" lower.

What do you all think?

Bill

Last edited:
Back