Chain tensioner in spokes

19 bucks !!! I could get 12 metres of 50 X 3 flat steel for that possibly more , I might make something similar what's the purpose of it being arched?
I agree, but the OP is a 17 year old beginner. Since I don't know what kind of tools or fabrication skills, ( though minimal they would be to produce something comparable ) he has access to. So I showed him a easy solution. The material is 3/8" thick. Not really sure of the reasoning for arch design. I do know they work well, and the arch flows well with cruiser style. There are pics. in this forum of similar tensioners made of flat stock. I use the turbobuick spring ten. on 1 of my single speeds, and a old pirate cycles spring ten. on the other.

I am using the stock tensioner frame, but replaced the wheel with a 2.5" furniture/toolbox coaster wheel.
The dual roller bearing wheel is meant for a 5/16" bolt but the 8mm will work fine. Cost me $7.65

Chains run best with a slight amount of slack. Spring tensioners, especially tight ones, don't give that.
A fixed tensioner, well adjusted, will give the longest chain life and least power loss.

Steve (Millwright and industrial maintenance reliability expert)

Last edited:
i replaced mine with this http://www.ebay.ie/itm/201572483151?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
i positioned it so if it does pull in the edge of the roller will touch the rim an not damage any spokes (hopefully) . i leave about 1/4 - 3/8" slack . still using the stock chain after 2000miles.

recently i fitted a second rubber roller (found on the street) with 3 bearings inside positioned on topside of chain just in front of the bottom tensioner and leave about 1/4" gap there too . mainly i did it to see how much the top of the chain jumps on riding and the evidence shows it definitly hits the roller .

my last ride was with this config and the chain seems happiest with it .

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
The wheel of the chain tensioner is getting pulled into the rear wheel spokes. o need this fixed before black friday guys.

It sounds like you have a lot of "this needs to be fixed in a few days/hours" type of situations with your bike. Maybe a homemade Chinese motorized bicycle isn't the best idea for a primary mode of transportation. Have you considered a 50cc scooter, or a bus pass?

Back