DJ's Chopper Build

As some of you might know, im pretty much a bike freak. I have been working on bikes at a bike shop since 2001 (volunteered at the age of 15). I can do anything with a bike....so this is a good test of my "skill" .

Well, i have the itch to build another mini chopper bike. I built one 2 years ago, and have missed it ever since i sold it.
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o240/djeeper/DSCN1007-1.jpg

Here is a photochop of a regular beach cruser frame.
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o240/djeeper/DJsChopperchop.jpg
Let me know what you think and im open to suggestions. Im not so sure about the bars... but it does kindof remind me of an old 60's chopper movie. (NAME THAT MOVIE!)

Now: on with the build....

Last edited by a moderator:
Im not really a fan of choppers but I do like the fab work, nice looking welds. I always think its super cool when people fab and paint their own stuff. +1 on the OD green, keep it up.

I like the jeep too ;)

Last edited:
I am sure i will be making adjustments to the ride. The seat tube is going to be lopped off and the seat will be mounted lower on the frame, over the rear wheel to help with the COG. This will allow my legs to stretch out some (since i am 6'3" :X)

I have considered drag style bars since it seems to go better with the bike, but for now, until i get it out and ride it around to see how it is... i will keep the hangers.

Thanks for the suggestions and constructive criticism. When i get the motor and stuff mocked up, i will take a pic and get more from you then. I am also going to get the bike up and running to get the kinks worked out before stripping it back down to paint it.

OK, yet another change in plans. I was playing around in photoshop last night and i proportioned a banana seat/sissy bar according to the size of the picture.

I actually like how it looks! PLUS! it will scoot the saddle back far enough to stretch my legs out some.

Stay tuned! I placed the order for the parts today.

heh, the fork is made out of 1.5'x.120 DOM steel tubing. DOM is what they make roll cages out of. It weighs a good amount and i have no fear of wheelies .... too bad....

I did take the rolling chassis out for a push-along ride. It is pretty stable actually and once you get going faster than 3mph it holds just fine.

Im getting more excited!

Well, i figured i should update you all on how far i am...

heres what i have so far!

IMG_0228.jpg

IMG_0230.jpg

(looks better at a distance hehe:rolleyes:...)

Finally Finished!!!

Well, the only thing to do now is to tidy up the cables a little bit (5 minutes with zip ties that i dont seem to have any more) and gas er up!

I spent about 14 hours on it today, disassembled it completely, repainted the frame, greased the bearings, anti-seized the triple tree bolts, locktite-ed the engine/drivetrain bolts and reassembled oh so carefully.

Here she is after a long wait....

IMG_0232.jpg

IMG_0233.jpg

IMG_0234.jpg

IMG_0235.jpg

IMG_0236.jpg
(cop deterrant :D )
IMG_0238.jpg

IMG_0239.jpg

IMG_0240.jpg

ITS ALIVEEE!!!!!

I took it for a spin today and just wow! It is smooth, shifts well, accelerates nicely, handles pretty well (for a chopper :laughing) .

I am happy. :bounce:

IMG_0248.jpg

IMG_0242.jpg

IMG_0243.jpg

IMG_0246.jpg

Back