Experience with Go Powersports?

I was thinking of redneck building my 5hp. Welding the cam lobes and regrinding with a file, 3hp cast aluminum lawnmower flywheel, electronic ignition, dremel port smothing and polishing, shaving the eyebrows, and taking sandpaper to the head. I have a block I am willing to do this with, I just need to order some parts and have the time to.
If it works, it works!

I just wouldn't mod anything that will be impossible to replace personally.

Once upon a time I ported a nitro engine sleeve, first time I noticed more rip, so I went back to "improve" it and messed up the timing.

Sucky thing was the engine was long out of production so a replacement sleeve wasn't available and it turned into a paper weight.

If it works, it works!...so I went back to "improve" it and messed up the timing.
And the lesson learned here???...If it works, if it "rips", if it is running really, really great, then leave it alone and stop futzing around with it till you finally break it...lol...Stop tinkering and start enjoying the ride...lol...lol.

Hey Gordy.... I got a real chuckle out you thinking about becoming a threat to Ed Iskenderian. Don't even think about welding on your camshaft. The lathe required to grind a new profile is more complex than anything you've ever seen. I'm sure there's a YouTube video showing one in operation. There's no way in hell you could do it with a file. Let's just say you did get those lobes to look somewhat believable, they would destroy the tappets in no time. With a vivid imagination and some "outside the box" thinking you might be able to effect the cam timing to some advantage. Keeping in mind this change will be the same for the intake and exhaust profile, which might not be such a good thing. I really love your enthusiasm and your fearlessness to jump in with both feet. You remind me of myself at your age, but your overall knowledge level is greater than mine was back then.

Hey Gordy.... I got a real chuckle out you thinking about becoming a threat to Ed Iskenderian. Don't even think about welding on your camshaft. The lathe required to grind a new profile is more complex than anything you've ever seen. I'm sure there's a YouTube video showing one in operation. There's no way in hell you could do it with a file. Let's just say you did get those lobes to look somewhat believable, they would destroy the tappets in no time. With a vivid imagination and some "outside the box" thinking you might be able to effect the cam timing to some advantage. Keeping in mind this change will be the same for the intake and exhaust profile, which might not be such a good thing. I really love your enthusiasm and your fearlessness to jump in with both feet. You remind me of myself at your age, but your overall knowledge level is greater than mine was back then.
It's just an idea. I know that it would destroy the lifters, but it would be interesting to see. Since it is a flathead all I really would loose is the tappets and a camshaft, maybe the lower end bearings, but overall it's not too much.

And the lesson learned here???...If it works, if it "rips", if it is running really, really great, then leave it alone and stop futzing around with it till you finally break it...lol...Stop tinkering and start enjoying the ride...lol...lol.
Hey, I was a teen, I leaned that lesson long ago.
I know not to push the envelope when you know you are on the edge of failure.

I used to say "fix it till it breaks".

I know better than to cause issues by overdoing modifications.
1000000964.jpg

You sure about that?

Back