First Build! need some help!

Hey there guys, first I want to say that the reason I'm doing this is because I've always been fascinated with motorized things, but do to the fact that I lived in an apartment, the land lord would always B**** about me doing anything! my family has moved to a house finally and it's now about time to have some fun!

First here are my ideas;
old 3 speed
4 stroke, 127cc Briggs and Stratton 4hp engine
some good speed
maybe some sweet jumps haha

anyways I just picked the engine from an nice old man who was throwing away his edger, of course, I tried starting it but it didn't, than I took a closer look and realized that the carburetor was not even attached properly, so I need some of the screws! Where can I find parts for this engine? And also how can I tell if it has even a slight amount of potential to run! I would just buy a new engine but this is a good opportunity to learn! And no offense to those who use kits, but I think this way is much more fun! Thanks for reading!

I will post pictures of the motor as soon as I figure out how!

If you don't weld and have much in the way of tools- get a kit.
Briggs engines are great though.

The old 3 speeds I am familiar with are the lightweight English bikes. The brakes are a joke- caliper brakes will get you seriously hurt or killed on a power bike. Think V brakes or better.
(I am using one of those Sturmey Archer 3 speed hubs as a jackshaft.)

I suggest using any kind of mountain bike, preferably w/a steel frame.
It will have v brakes a stronger frame and fat tires (maybe even a suspension fork). Steel rims are stronger than alum. and will take pot hole shots better.

Back