Break In First time builder, engine won't idle, hard to start

Status
Not open for further replies.
that kit is about as cheap as they come. I buy just engines that cost twice that
Yep, looks like a cheap box of s**t painted black as suspected.
You can keep throwing money at it just to get it to start but I suspect once it actually starts the rest of the flaws will make themselves known.

I suggest since you can't return it just keep that kit for misc spare parts like gas tank, tensioner, and Hall of Shame relic and just get a quality kit.

I don't have time to dick with junk so I just buy quality Skyhawk engine kits to start with.
99% of those kits I have bought fire right up first thing and run well, like you expect it to.

I get mine direct from Don Gurbe but BirdDog Dist (bicycle-engines) has the real McCoy for a good price $149.
http://www.bicycle-engines.com/2-Stroke-Engine-Kits/

I've built over 65 of them, and as far as I know, all are still on the road.
http://kcsbikes.com/KCsBuilds.asp?motor=2-stroke&Drive=All

Hope that helps.

I just noticed you are in the UK.
I don't know if there is Skyhawk dealer in tthe UK so you may not even be able to buy a good kit.

There is no UK distributor for Grubee. :(
And our currency is worth very little at the moment due to recent vote related market uncertainty so buying any products from the USA is better postponed for a while. Please vote *whichever candidate will destabilise* so we Britons can afford to buy your American engines and shift kits with nice cheap dollars! :D

Last edited:
i recently bought a kit same as this came from portsmouth too but different seller , seemed like good kit to me only prob was the choke lever very loose would just turn the choke on when riding along , no other probs with it yet AFAIK (just fitted it for someone else)

It seems there are a lot of sellers of same kit using the same photos, in Portsmouth.
Mine came from Germany but seems to be the same. Slopped in thick black paint that glued the head and the cross-threaded nuts on, and full of marks and gouges inside. I think it's just luck whether you get something thats usable as it comes. I'll be needing a new cylinder and studs at the very least but have a long way to go before finding out if the electrics work.

Mine has the loose choke too. The "Pourtsmouth" part is false, it came from Germany. The people you speak to if you ask questions or complain are in mainland China and are rude and slow to respond. I think it's the same company under a bunch of different ebay accounts. I have managed to get them to refund cost of parts though.

Waiting on a CDI right now. From Jersey, allegedly.

Last edited:
It seems there are a lot of sellers of same kit using the same photos, in Portsmouth.
Mine came from Germany but seems to be the same. Slopped in thick black paint that glued the head and the cross-threaded nuts on, and full of marks and gouges inside. I think it's just luck whether you get something thats usable as it comes. I'll be needing a new cylinder and studs at the very least but have a long way to go before finding out if the electrics work.
damn! i musta been lucky then!

GOOD NEWS

My replacement CDI came yesterday and I fitted it a few hours ago. She runs! I rode around for half an hour with a very big smile, then took it home because the vibrations were giving me sore feet.

Thanks to everyone who had advice, except that guy who called my motor a box of s**t. It was definitely too rich last time because it fires up easy without choke, even in really cold weather.

I bought the same black motor kit from ebay. Black motor, piece of junk, put it on the bike would not start...turns out cdi was bad straight out of the box....u get what u pay for i guess....

Mine has the loose choke too. The "Pourtsmouth" part is false, it came from Germany. The people you speak to if you ask questions or complain are in mainland China and are rude and slow to respond. I think it's the same company under a bunch of different ebay accounts. I have managed to get them to refund cost of parts though.

Waiting on a CDI right now. From Jersey, allegedly.
Bought the same kit. 3 out of 4 6202 bearings were s**t but anyway I planned to replace them all. Porting on the jug is total crap. All the bolts and nuts are crap but I planned to swap them out for proper bolts anyway. Same problem with the carb but a bit on bending the lever fixed that. Jetting of the carb was totally rich. CDI died on day nr 2 but they refunded me the cost of that and I built my own cdi which I think is better anyway. Chain tensioner is crap. Fuel hose would not even endure the fuel for 2 days. Got hard as plastic. If I could get a good engine without all the kit junk it would be pretty good. Most of the sellers are in US and shipping cost to EU is ridiculous and on top of that it would be minimum +20% tax to engine AND shipping cost. I only bought this crap kit because it is 100eur vs 2-3 times as much from US.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back