Granny hoping to motorize an old vtt bike.

Status
Not open for further replies.
hahahaha!!! Precisement!!!..also...if they do...I'm an English granny trying to speak French....
They used to stop me driving my car...totally innocent of any road crimes, I asked why...They said...I drive so carefully, they were sure I must be drunk. (No ...I wasn't...just cocoa/Horlicks)...
I say be a French granny trying to speak English would be better.

I think you should check the local laws first. Sure you can bolt an eBay engine kit straight on but it might not be road legal depending on your location. Also browse the forum and read the newbie threads, and read read read. It's free and people put a lot of time into posting about their knowledge and experience of this hobby so it would be a great waste to not spend at least a week of evenings reading about the possibilities and pitfalls. And remember that Peugeot bicycles weren't intended for motored use so wear a helmet. ;)
Yes...definitely right about checking laws... I'd prefer to use bike lanes all the while, but guess that's illegal with a gas motor...(though perf. OK with an electric motor..)........Not sure......

What I heard/read was that France, despite being historically one of the countries most well known for its motorised bicycles
Freaking hates motorised bicycles.
Their laws do not allow you to ride a MB anywhere, be it the cycle lane, or the cars and trucks lane.
The canals at dawn might be okay.. idk. I would give it a try if I could get a passport, just to cross France, not if I was living there.
Electric bikes may be allowed. Check local laws.

Yes.!..France's most well know MB..must be the thing Brigitte Bardot used to ride...everyone used to ride... Either a Mobylette...or a Velosolex...I think both still being made, maybe all E, and no gas, now.....must look into the laws, more carefully..with Google..thinking on..I havnt seen anything motorised ..looking.like those two...ever....!!!!.,
BUT!! the cheap motor kits are on sale in French Amazon..and French EBay...so they must be legal.
I ride my ebike on the bike lanes...and anywhere...its only problem..is not enough power to last a return trip and its the cheapest ebike available..so the battery weighs a ton.
carrying an extra battery is so heavy..all the power gets used up.
Ebikes have big promotion here (I'm in Brittany)...and are loaned by local govt.
To anyone, cheap.. I've seen lots of bigger dirt bikes etc..and motor bikes. Bike lanes are all over France.
Its possible to travel by ebike, everywhere..and miss all the traffic.

I keep seeing how that would work out if one of the bikes clipped something, not only that but handles like a lopsided car with only one person on it, no leaning into a turn..
That could be difficult ......however..somebody on that site suggested that bikes only lean into turns etc...because they have to be balanced that way, on two wheels.
With four wheels...the LEAN..wouldn't be necessary. But It could get tricky, being bumped ...or going into any potholes... ...

.........the cheap motor kits are on sale in French Amazon..and French EBay...so they must be legal.

......is not enough power to last a return trip and its the cheapest ebike available.....

The generic 2stroke engine kits are for sale on UK eBay too. It does not mean they are road legal.
Same as unregistered motocross bikes are for sale in UK eBay. It's an off road private/permitted land motorsports vehicle, only!
I think (I haven't got that far yet) that there is a way to disable the engine (without tools) sufficiently to evade prosecution, but it costs a lot and you still have to stop, modify the bike, pedal onwards.

The second bit I quoted: I think you put the statement backwards. Expensive e-bike batteries can be lighter (or less heavy) and last longer. The only problem is they are really expensive and you have to find space for them, keep them dry and keep them cool, don't overstress them.. technical stuff and a big investment even compared with the 2stroke, but less of the legal issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back