Granny hoping to motorize an old vtt bike.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eeeeeek!!!
The generic 2stroke engine kits are for sale on UK eBay too. It does not mean they are road legal.
Same as unregistered motocross bikes are for sale in UK eBay. It's an off road private/permitted land motorsports vehicle, only!
I think (I haven't got that far yet) that there is a way to disable the engine (without tools) sufficiently to evade prosecution, but it costs a lot and you still have to stop, modify the bike, pedal onwards.
The second bit I quoted: I think you put the statement backwards. Expensive e-bike batteries can be lighter (or less heavy) and last longer. The only problem is they are really expensive and you have to find space for them, keep them dry and keep them cool, don't overstress them.. technical stuff and a big investment even compared with the 2stroke, but less of the legal issues.

I began to look into the rules...hideously complicated!!!!!!
...but I *think* the rules are all about the kind of motored bikes that will do more than 40kmph..or maybe ...more than 35 kmph...Big insurance etc. There were so many young people injured riding those bikes, the rules got very heavy.... Not allowed on roads with cars etcetc...I havnt yet found any reference at all..to bikes powered by small kit gas motors. Speed of Ebikes...is controlled too...
For me...none of those rules matter. 25 kmph would be my top speed on any road....but clearly, if the bike is *capable* of going at 40...It will not be legal without yards of paperwork and insurance etc.

Lots of info about *e- bikes*.. but so far zero about gas kits....

There's no way to fit a lighter weight e-motor to my bike, without changing everything. It's Rock bottom of the range "Wayscral" 300+ euros inc everything...(more expensive now)... and has a huge LEAD battery that weighs about 10kgs. It won't run on anything else. It was brilliant...when brand new...maybe I killed it with the dog carrier, plus dog and extra battery......don't know...it still works well enough...but all the kick has gone...
But the bike itself is very solid and strong, and it would certainly fit a gas kit, instead.

I suppose it might have both! ???
There's plenty of room ...and the small sized gas motor kits can weigh about 8kg I think...That's less than the second battery...
Hey...that could be the answer!!!!
Although, if it worked well with gas and e..
.....probably best to trash that monster battery and ekit.

Very kind of you to think about it ...!!!
Thank you!!!!

http://www.ebay.fr/itm/VELO-ELECTRIQUE-WAYSCRAL-BASY-315-24V-BLANC/192037006231?

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Eeeeeek!!!

I began to look into the rules...hideously complicated!!!!!!
...but I *think* the rules are all about the kind of motored bikes that will do more than 40kmph..or maybe ...more than 35 kmph...Big insurance etc. There were so many young people injured riding those bikes, the rules got very heavy.... Not allowed on roads with cars etcetc...I havnt yet found any reference at all..to bikes powered by small kit gas motors. Speed of Ebikes...is controlled too...
For me...none of those rules matter. 25 kmph would be my top speed on any road....but clearly, if the bike is *capable* of going at 40...It will not be legal without yards of paperwork and insurance etc.

Lots of info about *e- bikes*.. but so far zero about gas kits....

There's no way to fit a lighter weight e-motor to my bike, without changing everything. It's Rock bottom of the range "Wayscral" 300+ euros inc everything...(more expensive now)... and has a huge LEAD battery that weighs about 10kgs. It won't run on anything else. It was brilliant...when brand new...maybe I killed it with the dog carrier, plus dog and extra battery......don't know...it still works well enough...but all the kick has gone...
But the bike itself is very solid and strong, and it would certainly fit a gas kit, instead.

I suppose it might have both! ???
There's plenty of room ...and the small sized gas motor kits can weigh about 8kg I think...That's less than the second battery...
Hey...that could be the answer!!!!
Although, if it worked well with gas and e..
.....probably best to trash that monster battery and ekit.

Very kind of you to think about it ...!!!
Thank you!!!!

http://www.ebay.fr/itm/VELO-ELECTRIQUE-WAYSCRAL-BASY-315-24V-BLANC/192037006231?
It's unlikely that you would get away with an outlawed petrol bike for very long on public roads and the same route weekly during the daytime. I can't really advise you on how to break the law anyway. I personally think the 2-stroke bike engines are more of an expensive educational hobby than an easy transport solution anyway.

So let's talk about the electric bike possibilities. :)
Lots of other forums discussing these of course.
I don't think anyone would check the top speed that your e bike is capable of, as long as you ride sensibly. Of course all human/gravity powered bikes are capable of considerably higher speeds than 40kph so the law is an ass.
You have a particular route in mind already, so I wonder how the terrain is? A hilly ride with a modern battery will be better done with a mid-drive motor, the power being sent through the gears so you don't have to strain the motor and battery. I would look into the Bafang mid drive motors (though I personally think the Sick Bike Parts one is better, it's a bit more £££ and has to be shipped from U.S.A ).
Batteries are separate and I would not consider anything cheap or anything on eBay. I would expect to pay around £400 for the battery and charging system. £400 motor + £400 battery + £400 (or less) bike isn't bad compared to petrol power.

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
I wouldn't dream of breaking the laws on motor bikes...! !!!
I'm not sure...I think you must be saying that ...only the very small cheap kits have the kind of *speed limitations*, that are likely to be permitted, here in France. And from your point of view, they are bad value for useful transport...
Yes!! there are two very good routes that I use most often. Both are old countryside railway lines ..that go to the two nearest towns,..and one railway station that has good connections to the capital, and on to Paris...from close by my home...both changed into bike trails, so they have almost no hills at all. Really, ebiking can be a perfect way to travel, *especially for elderly or frail people* It can be as strenuous exercise ..as anyone wants or needs. Or none at all, just a peaceful drift... I'm sure your advice is likely to be wise..with regard to the best kind of battery/motor and bike,
I can think and plan with it in mind, but
...8 -1200 £...is a lot more than the 100 euro budget I must keep to! I'm interested in finding solutions for everyone on very limited budgets....not just me. So many oldish people,( I'm 75.)...could enjoy cheap ebiking.
I will try different ideas, but none that need bigger resources than I have, sans credit cards! My cheap ebike...will take me, very slowly to those destinations..
I suppose towing a heavy load has put too much strain on the motor, it has 3 gears, but even in first gear, now, the power is quickly gone. It is supposed to do at least 25 kms...on one charge, but it gets weak after about ten...
Thank you very much for talking!!! It helps to sort out my fuzzy thinking..

I wouldn't dream of breaking the laws on motor bikes...! !!!
I'm not sure...I think you must be saying that ...only the very small cheap kits have the kind of *speed limitations*, that are likely to be permitted, here in France. And from your point of view, they are bad value for useful transport...
Yes!! there are two very good routes that I use most often. Both are old countryside railway lines ..that go to the two nearest towns,..and one railway station that has good connections to the capital, and on to Paris...from close by my home...both changed into bike trails, so they have almost no hills at all. Really, ebiking can be a perfect way to travel, *especially for elderly or frail people* It can be as strenuous exercise ..as anyone wants or needs. Or none at all, just a peaceful drift... I'm sure your advice is likely to be wise..with regard to the best kind of battery/motor and bike,
I can think and plan with it in mind, but
...8 -1200 £...is a lot more than the 100 euro budget I must keep to! I'm interested in finding solutions for everyone on very limited budgets....not just me. So many oldish people,( I'm 75.)...could enjoy cheap ebiking.
I will try different ideas, but none that need bigger resources than I have, sans credit cards! My cheap ebike...will take me, very slowly to those destinations..
I suppose towing a heavy load has put too much strain on the motor, it has 3 gears, but even in first gear, now, the power is quickly gone. It is supposed to do at least 25 kms...on one charge, but it gets weak after about ten...
Thank you very much for talking!!! It helps to sort out my fuzzy thinking..
If there's no hills you needn't get a mid drive motor, the much cheaper hub motors (in a pre-built wheel) would be fine. Lithium batteries still cost quite a though. Cheap lithium batteries from online retailers can be useless and/or extremely dangerous.

If there's no hills you needn't get a mid drive motor, the much cheaper hub motors (in a pre-built wheel) would be fine. Lithium batteries still cost quite a though. Cheap lithium batteries from online retailers can be useless and/or extremely dangerous.

Its OK to ignore me...I've been investigating lowest possible prices.. for granny travel. Plus, with warmer weather...decided to test my ebike, again...to see if I have really killed it by overloading..
So now there looks like I can find two useful and possible solutions. Ive watched a few vids, "installing 80cc 2 stroke motors", and it does look *very easy*, I'm sure I can do it sans probs. if I buy a kit with all the parts guaranteed, from a European supplier. I've got 2 other old bikes that will both fit a gas motor. PLUS...the BEST solution...looks like a basic alteration to my bottom of the range, E-bike.
The motor (rear wheel hub) seems fine, not worn out by carrying extra battery (10kgs) with dog (12kg) plus carrier, 12 kg..and shopping...
But the extra loads do cause the power to be used up fast from the battery.
So...best solution...to buy bigger battery...
I read ..... http://www.thedoityourselfworld.com/Electric-Bike-Battery-Hack-Double-Bike-Range.php#thumb
Including the thoughts... "You can use whatever batteries you have laying around. Alarm type batteries, UPS batteries, lawn mower batteries, golf cart batteries or car batteries will work to extend the range of your electric bike. Just be sure that you do not exceed the weight limits of your luggage rack.

If you have a bike trailer laying around, you can even put some heavy duty marine or deep cycle batteries in the bike trailer with wires going to your original bike wiring. This will greatly extend the mileage of your electric bike. To keep your batteries topped up and lasting for many years, use the Homemade Battery Restorer once in a while to break up sulfation on the plates".
I do have a good lightweight ALU. trailer...so the thought of chucking out the very heavy, supplied.. lead battery...and wiring the bike, instead, to something much more powerful, carried in the trailer, but not a whole lot heavier....that will give me at least an extra 15 miles or so.. is a magnificent idea! How can it fail?!!!

Its OK to ignore me...I've been investigating lowest possible prices.. for granny travel. Plus, with warmer weather...decided to test my ebike, again...to see if I have really killed it by overloading..
So now there looks like I can find two useful and possible solutions. Ive watched a few vids, "installing 80cc 2 stroke motors", and it does look *very easy*, I'm sure I can do it sans probs. if I buy a kit with all the parts guaranteed, from a European supplier. I've got 2 other old bikes that will both fit a gas motor. PLUS...the BEST solution...looks like a basic alteration to my bottom of the range, E-bike.
The motor (rear wheel hub) seems fine, not worn out by carrying extra battery (10kgs) with dog (12kg) plus carrier, 12 kg..and shopping...
But the extra loads do cause the power to be used up fast from the battery.
So...best solution...to buy bigger battery...
I read ..... http://www.thedoityourselfworld.com/Electric-Bike-Battery-Hack-Double-Bike-Range.php#thumb
Including the thoughts... "You can use whatever batteries you have laying around. Alarm type batteries, UPS batteries, lawn mower batteries, golf cart batteries or car batteries will work to extend the range of your electric bike. Just be sure that you do not exceed the weight limits of your luggage rack.

If you have a bike trailer laying around, you can even put some heavy duty marine or deep cycle batteries in the bike trailer with wires going to your original bike wiring. This will greatly extend the mileage of your electric bike. To keep your batteries topped up and lasting for many years, use the Homemade Battery Restorer once in a while to break up sulfation on the plates".
I do have a good lightweight ALU. trailer...so the thought of chucking out the very heavy, supplied.. lead battery...and wiring the bike, instead, to something much more powerful, carried in the trailer, but not a whole lot heavier....that will give me at least an extra 15 miles or so.. is a magnificent idea! How can it fail?!!!
I wouldn't think adding even more heavy lead acid batteries to the existing bike is necessary. It really sounds like the most practical, cheapest and easiest thing would be either a way of refurbishing the existing lead acid battery or directly replacing it with a new one of the same type. I haven't read up on battery refurbishment but a quick read of the link you posted sounds promising. I think you have found the right track! :)

I wouldn't think adding even more heavy lead acid batteries to the existing bike is necessary. It really sounds like the most practical, cheapest and easiest thing would be either a way of refurbishing the existing lead acid battery or directly replacing it with a new one of the same type. I haven't read up on battery refurbishment but a quick read of the link you posted sounds promising. I think you have found the right track! :)

Well..it would be good... if refurbishing the tired battery ..would get it to supply the *return journey*..but even in peak, brand new condition, the lead batteries available to fit the bike...won't do more than 25-30kms.
That distance will take me to town..but won't get me home again.
My first solution was to take a spare, charged battery, for the return trip...but 2 batteries... that's 20kgs about 48lbs? of lead battery...There had to be a better way.
Just ONE trip..through the forest with wild boars in it...pushing the bike...as the sun went down, to total darkness.....was enough to send me hunting for batteries (or gas motors)...that could do a *whole round trip*.. But I agree! The battery rejuvenation sounds like a brilliant idea for the one, already iffy battery...for short trips..(new batteries of that kind cost 80 Quid's each and are guaranteed for 6 months only..)
....My best LONG TRIP .plan...I think is to try the bigger 'leisure' SLA batteries..only 2 kg heavier.!!..connected from the tow trailer, and likely to do a great many more kms, maybe as much as 50+ kms, on a round trip...(that's as far as the railway station, and connections to Paris) plus..they will respond well to rejuvenating treatment! All it will need is small wiring adjustment...a couple of screws undone, to fish out the connection to the current battery, and extended to connect to a big battery in the trailer. Nothing else needs to change.
...I hope all this convoluted thinking is useful...maybe to others concerned with similar 'distance' probs! I would never have come up with any useful fixes, unless I had discussed it here! So thank you very much!!

What I heard/read was that France, despite being historically one of the countries most well known for its motorised bicycles
Freaking hates motorised bicycles.
Their laws do not allow you to ride a MB anywhere, be it the cycle lane, or the cars and trucks lane.
The canals at dawn might be okay.. idk. I would give it a try if I could get a passport, just to cross France, not if I was living there.
Electric bikes may be allowed. Check local laws.
I didn't realize.. 6 years since I dreamed of building an 80cc MO bike.
I never did do it.
I've got the kit.
Am I allowed to offer the kit for sale, here? Decided to get the cheapest poss. Granny's Ebike instead.

I didn't realize.. 6 years since I dreamed of building an 80cc MO bike.
I never did do it.
I've got the kit.
Am I allowed to offer the kit for sale, here? Decided to get the cheapest poss. Granny's Ebike instead.
Yup, you can sell stuff on the forums. Post it in the for sale section and ask people to P.M you for info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back