Grubbee kit mount w/32 spoke

I had the same problem so it just made the shifter kit decision easier for me otherwise your looking at either a new wheel or clamshell sprocket adaptor but I could be wrong since I never ever tried to install the stock rag joint/sprocket on my bikes 32 spoke wheel.

I tried mounting the rear sprocket on to the 32 spoke wheel. I used 7 stock bolts and 2 smaller diameter screws. The result: sprocket was secure & perhaps "useable" but there would have been a lot of chain tention variation due to the inability to center the sprocket over the hub flange. Also, the stock 9 bolts give you the ability to "true" the sprocket, just like you would a wheel & that ability was greatly diminished using the two smaller guage screws that I ended up having to use. I don't recommend trying to make a stock kit sprocket work with anything but a 36 spoke wheel. Clamshell sprocket adapter may be a good alternative, but too much $$ for me.

Well don't give up. these things are really fun to ride, I can be having a really sh*t day and go ride my motorbike and it instantly puts me in a better mood, but..... from all my research at least 95% of the problems people have with these kits are from that rear sprocket rag joint mount.
The basic kit is just that, basic and not necessarily safe.
I just did my first motorized bicycle ever over the last 2-3 months. I wanted it to be low key(low cruising rpm) and I am a big 6'5 300+ lbs man so I knew right off the bat I needed gears and I haven't had any problems with the drivetrain at all so I have no experience with a single speed drive.
Maybe someone else with experience with single speed drive will chime in and help you out.
I know 32 spoke wheels are really popular with mountain bikes so maybe thats why you see mostly cruisers with motors?
It can be done you just may have to spend a little more money then you planned.

did you ever try to push forward or did you give up? If you gave up I need a bottom end for my 1st motor Im going to use as a backup.
These things are not reliable at all, there about as reliable as my 1st car, a 73 dodge charger 440 big block. My neighbors called me as*holes and elbows because I worked on that damn car everyday just to get it to cruise for a couple hours on J street without breaking down!

Back