GT5A / Skyhawk Clone build - slowest build in recorded history.

Preamble to this - I have had a basic straight kit-build in the past decade, and an aborted build that was much higher grade, that had i lost interest in/evolved into the build being documented right now.. over a 5 year time-span.

I had stopped 'building' .. but i didn't stop monitoring/buying up parts to progress on another possible build. As such, in putting it all together when the project came back on the bench, i had minimum needed to buy, more a matter of pick and choose. In my frustration over my aborted build, i had built a higher-end eMTB - and some components of that, have also being able to filter down to this project. I have, in all truthfulness, already found my 'regular' ride in the Downhill eMTB. I am doing this project, for an occasional use neighborhood pavement-plonker.

In the meanwhile, the project had idled, as other projects jumped the project queue.. i did get a work bench into the garage, and organized parts so that i could find them, whatever project it might be awaiting... until several months ago being newly inspired, it hopped onto the workbench in this state... a collection of parts flying together in loose formation.
20200907_190253[1].jpg

In addition to the Belt Drive pulley option - one of the last things i had picked up, was 3 or 4 different variations of the 36 tooth sprocket/rotor adapter combo, but for the life of me i couldn't make it work.. I'm going to call that, my own cognitive issue. When i got it on the bench, i was looking at my drive-train options again, i laid them out.. and got a bit of a brainwave on the Belt Drive Pulley. See, i was never really happy with it, in Theory.. it's got no shouldering for belt retention. If alignment or tension is off, you aren't going to have belt retention! I just so happened to have a few 203mm rotors sitting on the bench at the same time, and my mind's eye made a visual connection.
20200908_001814[1].jpg

Let us start putting a couple of these things together..

20200911_172425[1].jpg

Now, along with a 255mm rotor that i had from Bicycledesigners.com...

20200911_174758[1].jpg

This is the renewed Impetus for my Project. I couldn't make it work with 203mm/36 tooth combo, but i'm making the principle work in a way i haven't seen elsewhere... This is all a creative experiment, at this point, using what i have accumulated, minimum additional to purchase. I've already done several donations to Bike Cooperatives, in cleaning the garage of spare parts.. .

Last edited:
I am progressing onto my exhaust pipe. I haven't done this before, so new territory.

I got the cheap silencer off of Amazon as seen in previous post, which matches up with the 1-in outer diameter of my CDH expansion header.

Another case of where a random scrap metal bucket comes into play, I found an expansion leg for a tripod to cut down several sleeves. The small will fit like a glove inside of the tailpipe of both header and silencer mount, and then I will sleeve over with the outer sleeve and rivet together for a nice and neat appearance.

It should work.
123483382_10159494935265628_2569104771430134516_n.jpg

Last edited:
What a nice looking build. One thing you might consider is support for the rear of the exhaust/muffler. It's a big lever and will eventually break the exhaust port on the jug. If you run into leaking at the stinger muffler connection high temp silicone hose works pretty well. Those lights work great. this is at 100 ft.
View media item 61963
View media item 61262

Support for the exhaust silencer, will come in next day or so. I am thinking a fabricated bracket tied off to the two inside canister bolts on the silencer, to tie into a tie-rod arrangement coming off of the seat post base or upper seat downtube, hidden from view inside of the frame triangle. A stealth appearance for that mount, hopefully.

I have seen some guys shortening this muffler about 50% and re riviting the end cap back on them.

Support for the exhaust silencer, will come in next day or so. I am thinking a fabricated bracket tied off to the two inside canister bolts on the silencer, to tie into a tie-rod arrangement coming off of the seat post base or upper seat downtube, hidden from view inside of the frame triangle. A stealth appearance for that mount, hopefully.
That should look or look good by not looking good cause you can't see it. Great job. Love the brakes.

I have seen some guys shortening this muffler about 50% and re riviting the end cap back on them.

That's a thought, and i have the Rivet pack to do so, if desired. I'd like as much 'Silencing' potential, as is possible. I was originally anticipating needing to incorporate a rack onto the build, if i couldn't shorten an exhaust system up enough, but i have avoided that already.

That's a thought, and i have the Rivet pack to do so, if desired. I'd like as much 'Silencing' potential, as is possible. I was originally anticipating needing to incorporate a rack onto the build, if i couldn't shorten an exhaust system up enough, but i have avoided that already.
These mufflers calm the noise a little, but it's still fairly loud. I like the way they look and the price is hard to beat. This one has been on for over 2 years so they are fairly durable.

These mufflers calm the noise a little, but it's still fairly loud. I like the way they look and the price is hard to beat. This one has been on for over 2 years so they are fairly durable.

If it isn't quiet enough to my taste, i've got a PW80 Silencer (basically same diameter, but much more restricted inlet pipe, so not compatable with this build, as noted somewhere above) to Gut and experiment with the innards in another Canister - i think i paid only about $30.00 Cdn for this one - which is cheap enough compared to some Exhaust setups i've paid up for in this 2 wheeled hobby ;)

Back