GT5A / Skyhawk Clone build - slowest build in recorded history.

Preamble to this - I have had a basic straight kit-build in the past decade, and an aborted build that was much higher grade, that had i lost interest in/evolved into the build being documented right now.. over a 5 year time-span.

I had stopped 'building' .. but i didn't stop monitoring/buying up parts to progress on another possible build. As such, in putting it all together when the project came back on the bench, i had minimum needed to buy, more a matter of pick and choose. In my frustration over my aborted build, i had built a higher-end eMTB - and some components of that, have also being able to filter down to this project. I have, in all truthfulness, already found my 'regular' ride in the Downhill eMTB. I am doing this project, for an occasional use neighborhood pavement-plonker.

In the meanwhile, the project had idled, as other projects jumped the project queue.. i did get a work bench into the garage, and organized parts so that i could find them, whatever project it might be awaiting... until several months ago being newly inspired, it hopped onto the workbench in this state... a collection of parts flying together in loose formation.
20200907_190253[1].jpg

In addition to the Belt Drive pulley option - one of the last things i had picked up, was 3 or 4 different variations of the 36 tooth sprocket/rotor adapter combo, but for the life of me i couldn't make it work.. I'm going to call that, my own cognitive issue. When i got it on the bench, i was looking at my drive-train options again, i laid them out.. and got a bit of a brainwave on the Belt Drive Pulley. See, i was never really happy with it, in Theory.. it's got no shouldering for belt retention. If alignment or tension is off, you aren't going to have belt retention! I just so happened to have a few 203mm rotors sitting on the bench at the same time, and my mind's eye made a visual connection.
20200908_001814[1].jpg

Let us start putting a couple of these things together..

20200911_172425[1].jpg

Now, along with a 255mm rotor that i had from Bicycledesigners.com...

20200911_174758[1].jpg

This is the renewed Impetus for my Project. I couldn't make it work with 203mm/36 tooth combo, but i'm making the principle work in a way i haven't seen elsewhere... This is all a creative experiment, at this point, using what i have accumulated, minimum additional to purchase. I've already done several donations to Bike Cooperatives, in cleaning the garage of spare parts.. .

Last edited:
Very nice, but do you ever plan on running a chain on the right?

LOL.. eventually. I've got it in a box.. somewhere..

I pick a 'zone' on the project, and go with it. I'm starting to run out of things to go with, so chain will be soon.

I had left it off, as i was not sure on whether i am going to retain the 'kit' chainring, or not.

Nice bracketry, you're really a pro right? It's okay, you can tell us.

The only thing 'Pro' about me, as the saying goes, is when the Going gets Weird, the Weird turn Pro...

I'm just 30+ years into a hobby involving motorcycles, motorcycling, and modifying the bejesus out of whatever they are. Right now, i am a medically retired (COVID19) Social Worker with severe OCD issues in coping with a sudden surplus of idle time, who likely did get into the wrong field, in retrospect.. it is what it is.

Thank you for the Compliment, if that was a compliment... i think it was a compliment, anyway.

Stay tuned. My Project just went Hybrid with a 750w Tongsheng TSDZ2 mid-drive motor with a 48v 6ah brick-pack.

Post edit edit November 23rd, 2020...

Since this is a build-log of sorts, i'm going to be using it for own purposes to keep track of the to-do list - this post edit will serve that purpose in terms of planning and tracking it, going forwards, since things have gotten a bit complicated with ambition, again..

Immediate to-do list:
  • Decide on mounting position and methodology for 8.4v battery packs, used for lighting system.
  • Pull head off for last time, check piston orientation, retorque with copper gasket paste
  • Splice in power leads to front headlight power tap, to power rear tail/brake light assembly off of 8.4v battery.
  • Investigate circuit to tap into front brake Hall Sensor, to activate rear brake light circuit.
  • Receive D-5 Tektro brake bracket adapter for Tektro specific Caliper - ordered December 7th, 2020. - Non Correct.
  • Receive D-6 Tektro brake bracket adapter for Tektro specific Caliper - ordered January 8th, 2021.
  • Receive alternative locking clutch lever assembly - ordered January 8th, 2021.
  • Install Chain.

• Investigate feasibility of using 2 speed 34-42t front sprocket setup, if feasible, investigate matching 5 speed Freewheel (NOT Cassette) for rear wheel.
  • Order Shimano X0 Grip Shift (2 speed) : Front (Silver) - done November 23rd, 2020, received December 4th, 2020.
  • Order Shimano SRAM X0 2x10 Front Derailleur. - done November 23rd, 2020, received December 7th, 2020.
  • Investigate 5 speed freewheel.
  • Investigate 5 speed compatible Rear Derailleur.
  • If none of above work, investigate going back to spoked rim-set on standby as alternative.

• Receive Tongsheng TSDZ2 - done November 24th, 2020.
  • Receive 48v6ah battery - done November 25th, 2020.
  • Mount Bafang 950C on handlebar extension - done November 25th, 2020.
  • Fabricate additional 1/8" exhaust spacer, to assure clearance with bottom engine bracket/frame -Done December 2nd, 2020.
  • Fabricate bracket to mount vintage tail/brake light assembly, to belt-adjustment bracket stub end on LHS - Done December 3rd, 2020.
  • Reinstall exhaust - make sure no need for additional riveting at expansion pipe/silencer joint first. Use correct hardware. Possibly use Pipe Wrap as necessary - Done December 3rd, 2020.
  • Fabricate silencer bracket mount using adaptive bracketry, mating seat post downtube mount to repurposed silencer bracket. Incorporate Rubber mounting in adaptive bracketry - Done December 3rd, 2020.
  • Order appropriate small Leather bicycle bag for battery. (Amazon) - done November 25th, 2020.
  • Receive additional tail light unit, switch and swap LCD board. Install.
  • Fabricate bracket assembly, to support Leather bicycle bag on left hand side of frame above belt drive tensioner bracket.
    1. Main support bracket (repurposed billet rear motor mount) reprofiled to clear larger diameter seat post, and frame weld - done December 5th, 2020
    2. Receive bag and verify dimensions to work with, including secure attachment points - received December 19th, 2020..
    3. Fabricate battery tray to hold bag in place.
    4. Fabricate master bracket tying into main frame support brackets (2), and belt drive bracket top mounting point on seat-stay.
    5. Mate battery tray to master bracket.
  • Mount rear fender with reinforced fender stay, additional aluminium plate reinforcement - Done January 23rd, 2021..
  • Receive spare parts order from Grubee - spare top end, piston, miscellaneous parts for future use.
  • Correct Carburetor angle with new intake manifold - done January 15th, 2021.

Fails:
  • Order bar-end levers for possible conversion use to clutch lever - Done December 7th, 2020 - received December 22nd, 2020 - Non-workable.

Last edited:
If i ever put a hobby-business together, i'll be calling it Freestyle-Fabricating... not sure how i'd be staying in business however, as this is exceedingly unproductive in terms of my inefficient hand-fabricating techniques..

To explain the photos, i wanted a Retro-appearing tail-light. I got one off of Ebay.. problem is, it's relatively large, and Retro to a Model A Ford, and a mounting Challenge. Challenge Accepted.

This is Two days in on hand fabrication. Basically working with scrap pieces of aluminium of 3/16", and 5/16" thickness, i've been hand fabricating and fitting out an adaption bracket to mate to the stub end of my belt-drive tension track. In one of the photo's, it's hanging there by friction alone, the fit is that good... I now have to cut down and shape down side plates to follow into the tension track contour, and rivet those side plates together. This is one of the times that i wish i had Elite TIG Skills...

I think i am having Project OCD issues...

Still concurrently working on an additional 1/8" exhaust spacer, and the Mid-Drive Tongsheng TSDZ2 750w motor and battery arrived. I've got on order out for an appropriate vintage-look leather tool pouch, to hold the small sized battery pack behind the seat.. that'll require another Bracket arrangement.. it never ends.
20201125_182808[1].jpg20201126_223153[1].jpg20201126_223217[1].jpg20201126_223116[1].jpg

Edit: 24 Hours Later... pinned with Rivets, rough-cut down, now ready for fine shaping/filing.

20201129_013132[1].jpg

Last edited:
Ready for Paint. Yes, i was Photo-bombed by a cat.

20201129_191900[1].jpg
20201129_191218[1].jpg
20201129_191820[1].jpg
20201129_191943[1].jpg

Last edited:
Simple solution to mounting the silencer to the seat post downtube, to keep it from vibrating against the frame. Red mount comes from a broken billet front derailleur, bored out to accept an 8 mm bolt. Bolt will stand silencer off by the correct distance, all I need to do is cut down a correct length tube sleeve to Rigid mount it, or use an exceptionally strong spring as a sleeve to give it some flexibility for vibration damping.

When mounted, relatively little of this mount will be apparent or visible, once the anodized red is replaced by a coat of black. Should make for a neat and tidy installation.

Test fit tomorrow, and into the paint room.

16069121581891170898263350756050.jpg

Edit: set up for Comfort, on the Coffee Table, for the final finishing touches (and a major addition). Will be installing the Mid-drive 750w in the next week or so. Also clears the way to the yellow scooter against the wall, again. I'll be transitioning to that, as a major custom-restoration over the winter. That should keep me busy for another couple of years. In the interim, another small run of bicycle parts coming in, to allow this build to work with both electric and gas.

Yeah, i'm a middle-aged big kid with an addiction to Star Trek, and a bit Domestically Feral, to boot.

20201203_005802[1].jpg

Last edited:
Back