GX50 Bogging/Dying

Is there a fuel filter in the tank? A little weighted deal on the end of the fuel line? If so, it's probably not the carb. Check into your clutch, see if it broke a spring.
I checked and there is a little grey filter on the end of the fuel line inside the tank. How do I check the clutch? Do I need to take the engine off the bike? Like remove the mounting hardware?

I wish there was an in-depth tutorial on how these engines work/how to work on small engines like this. I love tinkering, and want to fully understand how these engines work.

getting gas, getting spark, and getting air. That is how you try and diaganose the problem from what I understand from most small engines. If you broke a clutch spring, your clutch would be fully engaged all the time. Your roller would spin, but if the tire/ground was preventing your roller from spinning then it would cause your engine to bog down. Lift your roller off your tire and try and start the engine and run it with no load(tire/ground)

getting gas, getting spark, and getting air. That is how you try and diaganose the problem from what I understand from most small engines. If you broke a clutch spring, your clutch would be fully engaged all the time. Your roller would spin, but if the tire/ground was preventing your roller from spinning then it would cause your engine to bog down. Lift your roller off your tire and try and start the engine and run it with no load(tire/ground)
Yeah that's one of the first things I did. The video I posted was me revving the engine with the roller off the tire. It will idle fine, but when you give it any more it will just die. Starts and runs fine other than that. This sucks big time. $500 for a engine and issues a few days in. Just my luck.

Yeah that's one of the first things I did. The video I posted was me revving the engine with the roller off the tire. It will idle fine, but when you give it any more it will just die. Starts and runs fine other than that. This sucks big time. $500 for a engine and issues a few days in. Just my luck.
if its just a spring good news is you can get a spring for a cple $

if its just a spring good news is you can get a spring for a cple $
Yeah that would be nice. I guess I'm pulling the kit off tomorrow. Thanks for the quick reply everyone. You guys are great and very knowledgeable.

I guess, it still could be a spring. If you lift the back of your bike off the ground and shake the rear end of the bikeup and down, do you hear a metal to metal clanking around. It could be a clutch spring broken off bouncing up and down inside your clutch bell drum. I would try this first before taking the engine off the friction housing to find out if indeed you broke a clutch spring. Before you think about taking the engine off the friction housing. I would check to make sure your (getting air) is your system breathing properly.

Try turning the roller by hand and see if there is any kind of resistance. If it turns freely then it's not the clutch, but if you feel or hear anything grinding, then it's probably a spring.

I guess, it still could be a spring. If you lift the back of your bike off the ground and shake the rear end of the bikeup and down, do you hear a metal to metal clanking around. It could be a clutch spring broken off bouncing up and down inside your clutch bell drum. I would try this first before taking the engine off the friction housing to find out if indeed you broke a clutch spring. Before you think about taking the engine off the friction housing. I would check to make sure your (getting air) is your system breathing properly.
I do not hear anything back there. Roller spins freely and smoothly, it still spins if I touch the throttle in the slightest while it's running, but anymore and it dies. How do I check for getting air? I tried loosening the gas cap, that didn't do anything. My oil level was pretty high, up to the threads, so I drained a bit out. Checked to see if there was a gas filter on the line inside the tank, there is. Removed the air filter to inspect, all was good there. I'm going to mess with it more tomorrow. Do you have to remove the roller and bearings to get to the clutch? If so, that's going to be a nightmare.

Back