How fast does it go, mister?

Hi Paul
Search on Ebay for LiveFastMotors Upgrade Kit to get the 40t. What a deal! $15 gets you a new chain, new sprocket AND hardware, and a nice u-bolt mount. Worth every penny.

My speedometer mount is about halfway on the forks...based on getting it close to the pickup. I actually had to use a block of hardwood with shrinkwrap around it so it doesn't shift as a spacer for the speedo pickup - it has to come within 1-2mm of the magnet.

I didn't think too much about verticle placement, although I'm now wondering if I'm getting a true reading. I need to find a radar thingy on the side of the road that tells you the speed now! :)

I believe that the majority of the new ones don't tell you where to locate it. Mine didn't either. However there was a setting for the wheel and rim size. I just set it to 26" and 2.125 and it's spot on.

Thanks on the 40T

Thanks for the info on the 40T. I just went and bought one from him. Geez, the shipping was more than the kit. 18.00 for shipping from AZ to KY with insurance.

UPS would only be around 7.00 and USPS would be 9.00 so he is making more on the shipping than he is making on the parts. :censored:

Oh well, I wanted it so if he ships it today, I will likely have it on Monday. How fast did he ship yours?

As for the Speedo, it asks for the circumference of your wheel, but it would matter where the sensor is placed because it would measure differently if it was put close to the hub, or close to the edge, I just have not figured out which way is correct. (I have not seen one of those radar machines around here lately.)

SO, where did you get the bag from?

Paul

Hi Paul,
Shipping was a bit slow...took about a week and a half. :(

I bought the bag from http://www.ModernBikes.com and it arrived in 2 days! Pretty nice site. The bike shop near my house was not that crazy above ebay pricing...next time I'll support them because they're VERY cool with me. I paid too much for the rack from them, but they have given me a lot of free advice and help in return, so that's cool.

No, the distance from the sensor to the hub doesn't matter at all. Every time the wheel goes around, the sensor gets one "blip" from the magnet. The head just needs to know how far you've gone between "blips", that's why you need to program in the circumference of the tire. Easy way is to take a tape measure and measure around the tire at "top dead center" (middle of the tread surface). Most accurate way is to line up a mark on the side of the tire and a mark on the floor, roll the bike until the tire mark is back perpendicular (and next to) the floor, mark the floor, then measure between the marks. Even more accurate (supposedly) is if you're sitting on the bike when you roll it (I guess your weight squishes the tire enough to make a mm of difference or so).

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks again!

Thanks for the info on the bag and the sprocket.

I also just posted the pics of mine in my album, granted I will be modifying it this weekend.

https://motoredbikes.com/media/albums/my-mtb-mb.126/

As for the speedo, that is good to know, I thought it would time how long it took to get the pulses, I am glad it does not. I now see how it works (so to speak) :rolleyes:

Paul

Oh no!

Hi Paul,
Shipping was a bit slow...took about a week and a half. :(

I bought the bag from http://www.ModernBikes.com and it arrived in 2 days! Pretty nice site. The bike shop near my house was not that crazy above ebay pricing...next time I'll support them because they're VERY cool with me. I paid too much for the rack from them, but they have given me a lot of free advice and help in return, so that's cool.

WOW, from AZ to FL it took a week and a half! For what he charges in shipping, you would think he at least would get there quickly. :confused:

Which model bag did you get? I know you said what brand, but they have many different models. (name?)

I will look them up on the net and see what they have.

Thanks again.!

Paul

Bummer, they just have bike specs on the site. It did not look like they sold anything though the site, just info.

Oh well, if you find the model of bag, let me know and I will use the wonderful search engines to find the specifics about it. You got to love the internet.

Hey Zev0, how long have you been messing with these things? I thought I was getting a bit old for them but with the price of gas, I just could not resist. ;-)

Thanks again for all the help and info. I hope I can help others out like you have helped me. I read on this forum for over a month before I joined. Now I am not looking back.

By the way, I did make a modification to the tensioner that I will share on its own thread as soon as I get some pics of it. You know how if you have a small tube, the tensioner tends to try and go into the spokes. Well, I did not want to die, so first I tried drilling it like some others had done, but it still tried to go into the spokes. I gave up on that and added a home made S bracket (extention) to it and now it rests on the chain guard and can never be pulled into the spokes while pop starting the engine. :)

Sorry for the long post and I am not trying to hijack the thread.

Paul

Back