How to Convert a Honda GX50 to Run On E85 85% Ethanol

Well, just open up a spare jet and go for it. Cars run on it and they don't change compression ratios.

im with this one.

i run my moto on the stuff, run my old carby car, no probs. i tend to steer clear with EFI that does get better mileage with straight gas. something, in my opinion, of the alcohol screwing with the O2 sensor, perhaps. the higher octane rating should allow for leaner mixes and less fuel but then for calorific value,or max power, you need substantially more...

maybe some slight rejetting or tweaking of needles, which is irrelevant because you have to do it regardless of fuel used.

it is an abrasive fuel, like kerosene is. methanol and petrol are lubricative.

if i had a few spare beer kegs, id try fermenting my own methanol. be just like the days of horses. everything runs on hay! :giggle:

Like I said before, It's all in the A/F ratio. Any engine is a time bomb running too lean. This engine (and many other similar ones) has high quality parts throughout and a good oiling system, which negates any corrosive qualities in the fuel, as long as regular oil changes are done. (some of these posts are misleading, they make it sound like ethanol is made outta hydrocloric acid!?) P.S. Thanks for the Henry Ford ditty, Fatbike. Sometimes the best way to go forward is to look back.

Back