I got pulled over today.

It is a Schwinn Point Beach, powered by a Dax 70cc engine.
Taylor
-----------------------------------------------------------------

I belive the CC may be the problem with your bike in CA.

Anyway full scoop tomorrow.

A

Last edited:
Oh Taylor made a miscalculation. It actually measured out to 48cc. These Chinese be over reacting to measurements!

Ahh, DMV is closed today (only two saturdays per month are they open)
Closed monday as well (Memorial Day) I'll have to wait till Tuesday.
In the mean time I'll just be a renegade MBer~

A

I never even get a look from cops riding my MB here in SF.

I have the plate, but don't have the M2 they say you need.
I should get that one of these days,
but my next project is going to be stealthy,
with the motor hidden in side carriers on the back wheel.

I thought about that to. I have an M1 endorsment but still like the "stealth" idea.
Problem is how to do it and not overheat the engine.

A

Use multiple layers of screen door material attached to a frame.

It makes it almost impossible to see thru, while letting air in and out.
That's what folks use in those mascot outfits with the big heads
to still see thru, but no one can see their eyes.

nO Insurance for Moped inCA

Hi Please read what I have written in the registration area here on this website. Mopeds are Exempt form the Financial Reasposoability act in CA.

Mike

Hi Please read what I have written in the registration area here on this website. Mopeds are Exempt form the Financial Reasposoability act in CA.

Mike

Mike, please provide a link.
So far everything I've read says you need insurance.

http://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Moped_laws

Page 3 seems pretty clear that the 406(b) type(electric) motorized bicycle is exempt only.
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/dl655/dl665mcycle.pdf

I will say it does seem a bit silly to require liability insurance on a bicycle. Even the liability on a 400 lb + 100 mph motorcycle is less than 100 a year. What damage could you do on a light and slow moving bicycle. I think motor bicyclists need an advocate like Segway. Segways seem to be permited everwhere.

Last edited:
Even though the code says that the license fee is $15.00 when I got my license plate in Decemeber, 07 the service fee was $18.00. I had heard on this forum to do it my mail and avoid confusing the personnel at the DMV and that was good advice, it worked for me. The check has to be for the exact amount of the fee.

Financial responsability

Hi guys, I've been real busy, working 8-9 hour days for the enemy, and working with customers, and prepping Model 10's to go back east. I will again research the insurance laws., when I get a break in my schedule.

I can tell you this though, just TRY to register a car or Motorcycle in CA without insurance, yet they let us mail in the form (reg 230) without even asking us our drivers license number, nonetheless an insurance carrier!

Secondarily, I have 2 Motorcycles, (Honda CT90 and CB 350) and a Chinese 150 cc scooter on with Gieco, at 77 bucks per year, Beat that?

I did read, in current law, that Motorized bicycles are exempt from Financial responsability, additionally, IF you had a plate, and IF you wore a helmet (which is why you got pulled over, the Helmet Law in CA is VERY well known), you MIGHT get by with no dl, Probably get away with no M2 even tho these things are required.

In Sacramento, with a helmet, my webmaster rode 6500 miles on his Whizzer, Night, day, in high crime areas etc (he is a security guard) AND this nit-wit rode with NO DL at all, and NO Plate (tho he claims he sent off the money).

He got NO tickets, with the baffle removed from his Whizzer, BUT he rode like a citizen.

Here, the Helmet is #1 for not getting pulled over so the officer can even check anything else, #2 if you do decide to ride like a lunitic, they will surely treat you like one! #3 that little reflective license plate will cause them to drive on by.

Eighteen bucks, our personal Whizzers are licensed, tho my Model 09 is not yet, and here I am begginning the build of a Model 10.

mike

Back