I Want to Build My Own Hub

Timbone

Local time
12:44 AM
I have a really good idea for a super solid custom wheel:

At the hardware store, I found some galvanized threaded conduit w 1" OD (there are sprocket adapters specifically for 1" OD) and you can add thread on couplings to each end. I want to cut the conduit down to the exact size I want, add the couplings and then slide in good quality steel bearings on a 3/8" axle.

All I really need is something to act as a flange. I would drill the 18 holes in each one and then weld them exactly where I wanted them, leaving plenty of room for brake disk, freewheel adapter (you can buy weldable ones online 1" ID), and sprocket adapter.

Then, the sky's the limit. Lace the thing to a good downhill rim and you're bombproof. You can adapt to any size crainline or drop out - even make your own swing arm!

I cannot find a suitable flange at any hardware store where I have looked.

I have a really good idea for a super solid custom wheel:

At the hardware store, I found some galvanized threaded conduit w 1" OD (there are sprocket adapters specifically for 1" OD) and you can add thread on couplings to each end. I want to cut the conduit down to the exact size I want, add the couplings and then slide in good quality steel bearings on a 3/8" axle.

All I really need is something to act as a flange. I would drill the 18 holes in each one and then weld them exactly where I wanted them, leaving plenty of room for brake disk, freewheel adapter (you can buy weldable ones online 1" ID), and sprocket adapter.

Then, the sky's the limit. Lace the thing to a good downhill rim and you're bombproof. You can adapt to any size crainline or drop out - even make your own swing arm!

I cannot find a suitable flange at any hardware store where I have looked.
Then it's time to pick up some 3/16th steel plate and get cutting, remember you are welding so anything off will get filled with liquefied metal, and since you are dealing with spokes which have a variable length it doesn't matter if you are off a bit, even a whole millimeter off center can be made up for with spokes since you just add to one side and take from the other.

Add the flange first, spin the pipe and flange after welding to make a perfectly round outside by running an angle grinder over it to remove high spots, score it with something while it spins to get a perfect circle to drill on. 18 holes in something a little larger than an inch in diameter is going to be a tight squeeze, maybe give it a good 2 inches diameter in flange material so you actually have metal between the spokes.

If you had a 2 inch or larger piece of flat steel or angle steel you could cut it out and fix it to the pipe in a short afternoon. In terms of ease of fabrication... Largest on hand drill bit in a drill press to get the bulk out and a carbide bit or an appropriate sanding drum on a dremel (or the same drill press since you're sitting there) to finish.

Back