Iron sleeve CG

Fyi, if any of you are running the 49mm cdh Iron sleeve cylinders, i found out 2nite with playing around with multiple cylinders & pistons. That the piston crowns can vary + or - .2mm. Same way with cylinders on the height of them can vary + or - .2mm.

I popped the top on my steel sleeve last night, she looked real good inside. I was going to take a picture but I couldn't find this post with my greasy fingers. She has a few light marks from the rings, but nothing you can feel. None of them line up with the ring pins, or kisser button as the inspector calls it. I don't think you should worry about the marks on yours unless you can feel them. I'm pounding the crap out of mine, and no scratching or shifting. An as I said before, mine runs around 380 degrees with the nitro, around 320 without, I am ported larger and about 1.5-2mm raised on the exhaust port. Once I get the timing down on her, she'll be one sweet machine. The nitro needs a bit backed off on the timing. She gets real hot on hot days. When its cool though, she runs like a creamy dream. An if min is showing similar wear marks, I don't think you have any worries. I have no idea how my cat got the line through the words. She's way better at the pc than I am.

Yeah I was wanting to tell you, you could hone your cylinder a lil more & increase piston to cylinder wall clearance for that nitro your running. Piston is going to heat up & swell quicker than your cylinder, only down fall I can see is engine would be a lil weak till it warms up & piston swells to cylinder wall.

Since it is an AL piston and a steel jug, I prewarm the engine before I fire it up and take it out. I also do that to my high compression engines for easier starting. Just a few mins with a heat gun, let it soak, then do it one more time and head out to ride. Always fires right up and rolls with full power. I'm just worried about a cold seize, so I prevent it from ever getting a chance too.

I believe if you increase piston to cylinder wall clearance for that nitro, you could run engine cylinder head temp up higher without out fear of scoring a piston or cylinder. Running this nitro we really need a quality forged piston.

We need a custom piston manufacturer for these CG steel sleeve cylinders. Igk if wiseco pistons does custom work or not.

Back