Is this a ok way to break in a engine?

Gavin67

Local time
3:33 PM
In a secure and controlled environment of course. Basically I'll have the bicycle mounted in a secure position outside, and while the engine is running I will have something to keep the throttle at a safe speed where the rpms aren't anywhere near high for a engine break in.

I will check on the temperature of the engine here and there, and give it a break after a few intervals.

Just looking for a quick way to break in a engine.

In a secure and controlled environment of course. Basically I'll have the bicycle mounted in a secure position outside, and while the engine is running I will have something to keep the throttle at a safe speed where the rpms aren't anywhere near high for a engine break in.

I will check on the temperature of the engine here and there, and give it a break after a few intervals.

Not a good idea at all the engine needs load and to see it's normal operating conditions to properly seat the rings and not varnish the cylinder,It also needs the airflow over it and the temp monitered so as not to overheat and prematurely wear out the very thin plating.It takes at least two tanks to break it in and if you consider run time that's about 6 hours so take your time ride it around and enjoy it.The chain will strech your breaks will need adjusting and who knows what else may pop up during this time and much better to have happen on little jaunts close to home than far away thinking all was good.

Not a good idea at all the engine needs load and to see it's normal operating conditions to properly seat the rings and not varnish the cylinder,It also needs the airflow over it and the temp monitered so as not to overheat and prematurely wear out the very thin plating.It takes at least two tanks to break it in and if you consider run time that's about 6 hours so take your time ride it around and enjoy it.The chain will strech your breaks will need adjusting and who knows what else may pop up during this time and much better to have happen on little jaunts close to home than far away thinking all was good.
No it's totally fine to break in an engine the wrong way, I mean why not, it's not like the point of the bike is to actually ride it or anything, breaking it in without riding it should be fine.

I run it on bench about three times at fast idle just until motor warms up, then put it on the street. With newer motors with aggressive hone on cylinder, I use only one quart of 16:1 then go right to 32:1 forever more. Seems to work OK.

NO! You must have a a load on your bike when you break it in. You have to ride it using the full range of throttle. These engines are air cooled so you should be moving with air flowing over the fins to keep the temp low enough.

perhaps like the oil ratio thing, this is a matter of faith for some folks

over last 8 or 10 years, I've done maybe 4 or 5 hundred new motors - seems to work OK for me

Just ride the bike bro. Vary your speed, floor it once in the while, don't floor it for a long continuous time, don't putt around at ten mph for long time either. It will be fine. Everyone has their own oil mix. I use 6 oz. per gallon for first gallon, then 4 ozs. till you get a new motor.

motoman method. google it and follow the instructions. warm up the engine completely before you start seating the rings.

Back