Is this bike suitable for motorization?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry but the spoke pattern on that wheelset is more fashion than function and you will find it difficult or impossible to fit the sprocket that comes with the motor kit. You really need 36 spokes in an even and very normal looking pattern.
Dang. Good thing though, otherwise I could've spent a bunch of money on something I wouldn't be able to use. Well, gotta keep looking!

I can show you a link to a touring/trekking wheelset from rose bikes in Germany who do mail order.. It isn't cheap but then again it is meant to be pretty high performance..
https://www.rosebikes.com/article/2...ano-deore-xt-780-trekking-wheelset/aid:247945

The hubs are shimano, okay quality. Front is 100mm width, the rear is 135mm.
The 36 spokes are DT Swiss. :) :)
Rims are double wall eyeletted.

If you Google images of the Xtreme Sari T-19 rim you can see it's section and by zooming in you can see it is indeed a 622x19 rim which will fit anything up to a 38 mm tyre.. Even a bit bigger but not too much. 42 at most in my opinion.

You _need_ to measure the width of the hubs you have now. Particularly the rear hub. Otherwise you may buy something that does not fit your bike.

I can show you a link to a touring/trekking wheelset from rose bikes in Germany who do mail order.. It isn't cheap but then again it is meant to be pretty high performance..
https://www.rosebikes.com/article/2...ano-deore-xt-780-trekking-wheelset/aid:247945

The hubs are shimano, okay quality. Front is 100mm width, the rear is 135mm.
The 36 spokes are DT Swiss. :) :)
Rims are double wall eyeletted.

If you Google images of the Xtreme Sari T-19 rim you can see it's section and by zooming in you can see it is indeed a 622x19 rim which will fit anything up to a 38 mm tyre.. Even a bit bigger but not too much. 42 at most in my opinion.

You _need_ to measure the width of the hub you have now.
I'll definitely take some measurements when I can tomorrow. Sadly those are wayyy out of my budget capacity though.

I've found these, they seem to fit all the requirements : http://olx.bg/ad/komplekt-kapli-26-28-crosser-x3-bezpl-dostavka-ID5Pkcc.html#ec1ad32ae0

Crosser X3, 36 spokes, double walls, 26mm outside width, (not really sure if correctly translating here) standard axles 10mm back, 9mm front. They've got QR mechanisms and from what I've read they're more reliable than standard mounting.

I like them! Okay the rear hub is threaded for a freewheel, you can take the one from the wheels you have now, if the sprockets are in good condition and if you have tools.
I couldn't see the hub width. It is likely to be 135mm rear and very likely to be 100mm front.

The spokes appear shiny like stainless steel. :)

The deep profile of the rim is nice! :)

The price is amazing :)

I have no idea how long the hubs will last at MB speeds, but at the price it seems well worth trying. :)

I don't really like those thin large diameter wheels for motorizing. I use standard 26" mountain bike wheels with 26x2.125 tires. My bike has Araya wheels, which are quite strong, but I'm using rear friction drive, which doesn't have anything to do with the spokes. I'd skip the rag joint altogether, and go with a clamshell rear sprocket mount. If I build another motor in frame bike, I may have a rear wheel custom built by a bike shop.

I don't really like those thin large diameter wheels for motorizing. I use standard 26" mountain bike wheels with 26x2.125 tires. My bike has Araya wheels, which are quite strong, but I'm using rear friction drive, which doesn't have anything to do with the spokes. I'd skip the rag joint altogether, and go with a clamshell rear sprocket mount. If I build another motor in frame bike, I may have a rear wheel custom built by a bike shop.

I agree completely, except it's just not going to happen in Bulgaria where clamshell adapters don't exist and ordering stuff from the USA is unfeasible.
Using 26" wheels would allow the use of a wider rim and tyre in that frame, and they would be considerably more resistant to sideways stresses, but it would depend on finding a way to mount the brakes.
IF the OP can find an old/early/kids suspension fork and take the arch brace (with canti/ v brake lugs) off it to put on his bike then it would be possible to use the 26" wheels, otherwise he really has no choice.

Okay I have checked the maximum pressure rating on my Schwalbe Road Cruiser (305x47) tyre, and it is only 65psi (4.5bar) which means (if the 622 tyres have the same design) you definitely need the 47mm or/and perhaps a tyre with a higher maximum pressure rating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back