Jack shaft issues

tombenn444

Local time
8:34 PM
Okay so I just bought a jack shaft kit but I only have a single piece pedal assembly can I swap it over is an adaptable can I convert it or do I just need to find a new frame

Okay so I just bought a jack shaft kit but I only have a single piece pedal assembly can I swap it over is an adaptable can I convert it or do I just need to find a new frame
You will need to use a bottom bracket conversion kit to allow yourself to install a multi-piece crank set like a mountain bike uses in order to install the wider crank sets.

Another part I have to buy?? See, I'm in the business of making due with what I got. Is there anyway to fabricate this adapter? I was toying around with some ideas last night and made some progress by taking two freewheel hubs and installing them in reverse with the press on races still attached. It could use some improving but I'm wondering if anybody has already done this

Another part I have to buy?? See, I'm in the business of making due with what I got. Is there anyway to fabricate this adapter? I was toying around with some ideas last night and made some progress by taking two freewheel hubs and installing them in reverse with the press on races still attached. It could use some improving but I'm wondering if anybody has already done this
Do you mean like this?

20210127_183211.jpg

While I applaud your enthusiasm for wanting to do it yourself, you also need to weigh what your time is worth vs. what you would spend to just buy the conversion kit. The kits are around $30-50. Not including tools and material costs, if I couldn't get it done in no more than about an hour I wouldn't consider it worth my time. If you see it differently, then by all means have at it. There isn't anything overly complicated about them. To threaded inserts that clamp into the bottom bracket from each side with usually 3 or 4 posts that they bolt together with.

I personally know I could likely build something that would work, but not without spending say 5 hours to do so, likely more in materials or tools than the premade one sells for, and well I would rather just buy something for $30 and screw it together and spend the other 4 hours and 50 minutes working on something else.

While I applaud your enthusiasm for wanting to do it yourself, you also need to weigh what your time is worth vs. what you would spend to just buy the conversion kit. The kits are around $30-50. Not including tools and material costs, if I couldn't get it done in no more than about an hour I wouldn't consider it worth my time. If you see it differently, then by all means have at it. There isn't anything overly complicated about them. To threaded inserts that clamp into the bottom bracket from each side with usually 3 or 4 posts that they bolt together with.

I personally know I could likely build something that would work, but not without spending a 5 hours to do so, likely more in materials or tools than the premade one sells for, and well I would rather just buy something for $30 and screw it together and spend the other 4 hours and 50 minutes working on something else.
That would be referring to the course of wisdom here...lol...To know what your time and effort is worth and if its worth doing it yourself for the little bit it would cost in comparison...lol.

That would be referring to the course of wisdom here...lol...To know what your time and effort is worth and if its worth doing it yourself for the little bit it would cost in comparison...lol.
I can tell you this for a fact. That giant reverse thread tap needed for one side of that bracket adapter will cost more than the premade bracket adapter, likely by at least double. I have an extensive tap and die collection, and those reverse thread ones tend to be harder to find and more expensive by default. One as big as needed for a bottom bracket = $$$$$

I can tell you this for a fact. That giant reverse thread tap needed for one side of that bracket adapter will cost more than the premade bracket adapter, likely by at least double. I have an extensive tap and die collection, and those reverse thread ones tend to be harder to find and more expensive by default. One as big as needed for a bottom bracket = $$$$$
Been numerous times I've bought something then modified it to what I needed. However, I also have a lot of different types of hobby level shop/fab equipment.

Been numerous times I've bought something then modified it to what I needed. However, I also have a lot of different types of hobby level shop/fab equipment.
Oh, same here. My point was that the OP wanted to try and make something to work, and that even if he wanted to make his own bottom bracket adapter, the cost of just one of the taps needed to do the job would cost as much or more than just buying the bottom bracket adapter in the first place. It's one of those times where one should weigh spending a little more money vs. a lot more money + extra work. If you already have the tools to do it, then it likely could be done cheaper. In this instance, unless you had all the tools and materials already on hand, it isn't likely.

Oh, same here. My point was that the OP wanted to try and make something to work, and that even if he wanted to make his own bottom bracket adapter, the cost of just one of the taps needed to do the job would cost as much or more than just buying the bottom bracket adapter in the first place. It's one of those times where one should weigh spending a little more money vs. a lot more money + extra work. If you already have the tools to do it, then it likely could be done cheaper. In this instance, unless you had all the tools and materials already on hand, it isn't likely.
Or at least access to a machine shop

Back