Lets talk tire pressure...

GW's Motorized

Local time
5:33 AM
I've been thinking about tire pressure lately. I personally like to run higher pressure, I find higher tire pressure helps keep goatheads and what not out of my tires. I know some like to run high pressure to get less rolling resistance from their tires, bit running wider cruiser tires this doesn't help with rolling resistance.

Others like to run lower pressure to have better turning, but I find my bike is just a nimble with high pressure(again probably because of the wide cruiser tires).

What are your opinions and experiences with tire pressure? What are the pros and cons of running high pressure? What are the pros and cons of low pressure?

What are your opinions and experiences with tire pressure? What are the pros and cons of running high pressure? What are the pros and cons of low pressure?
I run my Kevlar tires and thick Slime tubes between 38 to 40 PSI front and back, they say 40 to 60 PSI on the tires.

The reason I run them this way is because of heat expansion due to not only the desert heat but because of road friction which raises the PSI of the tires when they have been run a while.

You have to keep in mind that these tires are for bicycles and are being run as much as three to four times the speeds of regular bicycles and will have greater than average, heat and friction induced, hot inflation PSI on these tires.

Running them at the higher levels of inflation posted on the tires usually leads to blowouts due to the heat and friction expansion.
Thankfully, I have not had to experience this due to my inflation methods.

Ps...It also gives a much better ride than totally hard tires, they have more give to them and cushion the ride at the lower PSI levels...plus I still get a solid 115 to 120 MPG with my P-85 on an 80 to 90 pound bike with my fat butt astride the saddle which is another 217 pounds added to this...lol.

On 26x.125 tires the max is 65psi. I like to run them 55/60psi, FD runs better on a hard tire. Plus I think they ride better too near max. Cars I like 35psi with recommended pressure 32psi, just feels better to me. M/C's I like in the mid range of the recommended pressure by the maker. XT250 was 22/28psi, ran them about 25/26psi.

I put 40-45 PSI
DSCF7548.JPG

DSCF7549.JPG

DSCF7550.JPG

I know the tire says 30-35 PSI but I run 40-45 PSI
Classic Knobbie is the original enduro/duel sport tire
The only reason their marked 30-35 PSI is because they will work best in sand/gravel at 30-35 PSI
But the Classic Knobbie 26" x 2.125"can be inflated to 65 PSI just like the Cheng Shin 26"x 2.125" CST street tire
I prefer the Classic Knobbie over the Street Tire, besides having more rubber I'm ready for those dirt roads

Attachments

• DSCF7552.JPG
    DSCF7552.JPG
    99.2 KB · Views: 54
  • DSCF7555.JPG
    DSCF7555.JPG
    186.4 KB · Views: 55
I use Deli Tire 26x 2.35, 35-65psi listed tire pressure. i usually run them on the low side. Unless i`m going for a speed run than i`ll air them up. I had kept them soft cause of a banana seat.

Back