look what I got!!! 4-stroke powerplant :)

having taken part in the other monster-thread & knowing i have to offset the chaindrive somewhere, i believe that chapter will write itself when i get to it.

ok, so onto the converter...dummy-time for me: i'll be looking at the pics and other discussions, too, but a converter for my engine would be how HD & stall at what rpm? is it a jerky process, do you control that by how high a stall-speed you have? are there smoother alternatives to better control how much torque hits the pavement, ie protect the rest of the machine from 'sploding?

One thing you can do is spend a lot of money on a B&S, look for the racing version of the 2 1/2 there has been a racing class for that engine for a long time, I think it is about 9HP. The governor is what holds the engine speed at 3600 RPM it will run above that. I get the high compression heads and mill them down, Relieve the cylinder and head, get the racing cam, or run the old cam one tooth slow. I leave the flywheel key out and install the flywheel in a full key in the advanced position, that should do it. Have fun, Dave

whoa there, hoss, that's neat info but let's assume i'm working with the engine in my OP :LOL: :LOL:

augidog said:
ok, so onto the converter...dummy-time for me: i'll be looking at the pics and other discussions, too, but a converter for my engine would be how HD & stall at what rpm??

augi, these are not the same as an automotive torque converter- ie "stall speed". When you hit the gas on a "Torque-A-Verter" or similar, the weights inside the front clutch sling outward and make the pulley squeeze tighter on the belt so it engages like a clutch, then when the whole works gets moving, the rear half sorta does the same thing, but in the opposite direction making the pulley spread out and thereby increasing the gear ratio for higher speed.

They are pretty smooth and what it does is allow for a narrow range of rpm to give both power and speed.

CLASS DISSMISSED! :LOL:

I am having problems finding a decent torque converter for a 5/8 shaft. They are all for larger shafts :( :(

huge motor project

Augidog, look to the past, wanna do this on the cheap, make it work and keep it simple? Either a minibike centrifugal clutch and sprocket, or a single v-belt with either a spring loaded pully, or double center pully (ala Whizzer. either thing can be accomplished cheap, and is inline drive, more reliable and less money, Mike

Back