look what I got!!! 4-stroke powerplant :)

Mike the problem that I have seen with the centrifugal clutch is the tooth count causes problems with speed.. But I have a plan that I think will work.

Also question for you. Are you familiar with how strong a derailer would be? I am going to have the sprockets more than likely welded as I do not think the cogset rivets will hold up to the torque but the sprockets are steel. Or do you think it might be better idea just to weld the entire thing to this monstrosity of a wheel? and make it no longer a freewheel hub :eek:

Augi is going to be using a 185cc who knows the torque on it but its got to be a beast with maybe 5-??hp.. I am going to be using a 135cc that is 3.5hp so there is going to be quite a bit of power.

I just got off the phone as well with a welder in the area here. I am going to bring him steel rims and have him weld reinforcement on it. That thing is going to be a solid mass that is strong by the time he is done with it :D

I am doing this so it can withstand the torque I do not have any idea what Augi is going to do to withstand the torque of that motor but I would love to hear.

Edit: Sorry I wrote all over this is and loaded it with stupid :) I did broken thoughts :???:

wheel dilema

Hi I think the derailer might hold, I would not weld on the rims, they will lose thier origional temper which was correct for what they were designed for. Get a Worksman wheel and forget about your need for strenght, it's all there. Use the dreailer as it is and see if it holds up, they are cheap, use an old one first, and then if needed go to a better one. Experimenting is cheap, spending labor money on side jobs (like somehow making the wheels stronger) is not. Mike

i've had a close-up look at a worksman tandem, full dresser, and i'm convinced their wheels are ready-made to handle the task.

mike, are you serious about 2 pulleys & a 3rd as tensioner, all manual operation? because if that's what you mean, i'm seriously listening...

i can't do a complete inline train, i'll need to offset towards center quite a bit for the rear sprocket.

i've considered that since i'll have to do the frame, i could go ahead and give it some rake, and lower it for a 24" back wheel.

tell me more please.

wait, i'm still here: so...
a "primary" of 2 pulleys & a tensioner pulley(s)
offset jackshaft connecting driven pulley to "secondary" chain drive

it's that simple, eh? sounds durable. i could make that arrangement look really retro too..

All this talk about drive systems got me thinking about a set up I saw a couple years ago that was both absurdly simple and cheap. Every other year, my community holds a competition roughly based on the Junkyard wars TV show. We often see upwards of 15 teams competing. The project that I saw was a mini Formula One car limited to only 5HP. There were all sorts of engines and transmission types used on the many entries...however the one that impressed me most (and almsot won) had a really simple set up. They ran two pulleys on the engine and two on the axle. The pulleys were different sizes both on the engine and the axle. They ran two belts and had two lever operated tighteners. They took off with the tightener held down on the belt that gave them lower gearing, then once they were up to about 25 mph, they relieved the tension on that belt and brought down the tensioner on the belt that gave them a taller gear...so they had a pretty slick working two speed transmission and would have taken home the trophy if their carburetor hadn't fallen off.

lotsa- I've seen that before on a couple of minibikes from the 60-70's...I believe the ones I saw had an over center rocker so the lever one way utilized the lower "gear" then a quick push forward engaged the higher "gear". Maybe it was on a Cushman?

neat...thanks. but this engine is way-wide...i have to jackshaft-offset in towards center, see my other topic: http://www.motoredbikes.com/viewtopic.php?t=1934

meantime, this one just came my way, it runs great. yamaha ef1400 engine (123cc?)...i'll have to either find a different left casing or modify the "bellhousing"...speaking of air-shrouds, i think this one is retro-classy 8)
41_Mvc444f_1.jpg

41_Mvc446f_1.jpg

sure looks like a nice candidate for any experimental 4-wheelers that might be in the works ;)
41_Mvc445f_1.jpg

Can you please e-mail me your address before you ride it, I may want to send flowers.

the motor!

the ungreatful s.o.b. forgot to tell ya all he got the new motor from wavy gravy! you all should see the guy he cant decide what to do next, & smoke is rolling from his ears from thinking so hard! bigger! better! faster!!! :eek:

Back