Mag Wheels

Status
Not open for further replies.
They must have a shoulder because I can hear it hitting something that stops it when I try to pull the axles out or push them through. So it sounds like I didn't really need to purchase the axle kit. That they fixed the problem with the bearings burning out on the new mags maybe? I guess I can hold on to the kit as a spare, but there still must be a way to remove the axles.
Bare in mind that pushing the bearing out with the axle shoulder leaves a chance of damaging the bearing as the bearings are not made for lateral forces at the inner race. Having said that, if your hearing the shoulder hit against the bearing either the bearing is not seated all the way or the shoulders are narrower than the bearing stops of the hub. I would first try seating the bearings in the hubs to see if this takes up the slop in the axle. If not you may need to shim the shoulders to make them effective.

The axle will only move a few mm at most, and it only moves when I remove the 2 inner screws on both sides. If the screws are on it don't move at all. Once I remove the rubber seals I can see the sealed bearings in the slot but I just can't get it to come out, maybe if I use a magnet to grab it I could pull the bearings off the axle allowing me to remove the axle, either that or try to tap the axle out with a hammer but not only could that damage the bearings, I could also crack the spokes or rim or something. I think I'm just going to leave the ones it came with in there and see how it goes, if they fail I will probably be able to feel it or maybe even hear it and then I can mess with getting them off. If not, I can just hold on to the axle kit for another mag set or something. I could take some pictures to show you guys but I'm starting to think that they must have changed the axles on the new mags. MZ Miami just got these mags in stock a few weeks ago because when I first started looking they didn't have any in stock then I looked again a week or so later and they had them.

Last edited:
The axle will only move a few mm at most, and it only moves when I remove the 2 inner screws on both sides. If the screws are on it don't move at all. Once I remove the rubber seals I can see the sealed bearings in the slot but I just can't get it to come out, maybe if I use a magnet to grab it I could pull the bearings off the axle allowing me to remove the axle, either that or try to tap the axle out with a hammer but not only could that damage the bearings, I could also crack the spokes or rim or something. I think I'm just going to leave the ones it came with in there and see how it goes, if they fail I will probably be able to feel it or maybe even hear it and then I can mess with getting them off. If not, I can just hold on to the axle kit for another mag set or something. I could take some pictures to show you guys but I'm starting to think that they must have changed the axles on the new mags. MZ Miami just got these mags in stock a few weeks ago because when I first started looking they didn't have any in stock then I looked again a week or so later and they had them.
Just make sure the bearings are seated all the way in the hub, and don't over tighten the inner nuts against the spacers. I got my fingers crossed.:)

You can use the axle kit when this one wears out,I don't understand what you mean by the inner screws ?There is really only one way to get them out once it's been assembled and as Gary said the inner race is not meant to take side load or being mis aligned from the outter race,it's one of those thing where if it were me I'd pop it out and sacrifice the bearing just to see and know what's going on in there LOL,but I fully get trying them as is and getting the use of them first aswell!

Yep I would have to know as well. Especially if their was slop on the axle cause if it's a couple mm's the bearings are going to bind. Then again you have replacements.

Ha! You are right, I meant nuts not screws, damn, I don't know why I called them screws. bfh? I assume that means the hammer method?
Remove the nuts from 1 side. Set a piece of wood or hard plastic against the end of the axle to protect the threads. Hit the wood or plastic with a big fu(king hammer to drive it out the other side. The hammer don't need to be that big, just kinda fu(king big.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back