New 5:1 Self-Contained Gear Box

Maybe... What appears to be the beefiest one has a max rpm rating of 5k... At a little over a pound for the smallest one and the need for specialty parts to adapt to it its probably easier, lighter, and cheaper to go with the normal reduction sprockets..

Well looking at the maths, it's a rated 5k max rpm at 6nm max force on the smallest one, that's about 1.6kw or roughly 2.1 hp, if you keep under those figures and rpm limits on the output gear of the motor you shouldn't break it immediately.

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Hmm, according to the specifications, the largest one has a
maximum load rating of 160 Newton-metres....
or 118 foot-pounds.

If the specs are correct, even the smallest model
with the lowest rating (6Nm/4.43 ft-lbs.) should be able to easily handle
the Honda GX50 engine (2.7Nm-2 ft-lbs.).

If the max rpm this will handle is 5,000rpm,
that can easily be limited with a
2:1 gear ratio from engine to jackshaft,
i.e. 12-tooth engine sprocket and 24-tooth jackshaft gear.

Last edited:
Hmm, according to the specifications, the largest one has a
maximum load rating of 160 Newton-metres....
or 118 foot-pounds.

If the specs are correct, even the smallest model
with the lowest rating (6Nm/4.43 ft-lbs.) should be able to easily handle
the Honda GX50 engine (2.7Nm-2 ft-lbs.).

If the max rpm this will handle is 5,000rpm,
that can easily be limited with a
2:1 gear ratio from engine to jackshaft,
i.e. 12-tooth engine sprocket and 24-tooth jackshaft gear.
I think I saw it weighed like 6 pounds or something too... And for the price you can buy multiple replacement sprockets and chains for the standard (and reliable design) we already have to work with...

The engine has an internal 4:1 so even 16 killing k's on the engine rpm will only yield 4k on the output gear, with that I would be strickly concerned with the torque of that gear, and the other 300 dollars in parts I'd probably need just to get rod A to fit in slot B, and of course the output of it isn't standard to what we use so you'll need to adapt twice, once from what we normally use to something we don't, and then back to something we do.

Kind of seems like taking a flight from New York to Los Angeles but with a stop at a Russian airport in between.

Back