Noob question

nmarco32

Local time
8:22 AM
I know this is a dumb question but I'm asking anyway because I have no experience with 2stroke bikes. I understand you release the clutch to engage the engine while peddling. What about coming to a stop sign? Do I need to engage clutch before I come to a complete stop? what would happen if I don't?

I think you should.

What happens if you don't before you stop: You are not pressing the throttle. Not much fuel is getting into the cylinder. But because of the wheel rolling, the engine is not at idle RPM. So it is going faster than it would if the clutch not being pulled.

As you (hopefully) know, the oil is in the fuel. And since it's not getting enough fuel, it's not getting enough oil to lubricate the walls.

If you don't go crazy fast, and just let off the throttle and then coast, but just like let off the throttle 5-6 km/h before you reach idle speed, or under 15km/h, you won't do anything bad really. If you let off the throttle at let's say 40km/h, and coast, then that's a problem.

Also, you wanna pull in the clutch, because if you go under 15 km/h, the engine starts to go very low in RPM's, and actually start bogging (?) It will throw you forward and backwards, and then stop very violently. It's very uncomfortable, and to be honest, looks horrible. Looks like something's throwing you forward and backwards. Yes something is doing that. Low RPM's and copression.

Coasting downhill with the clutch disengaged and even with the engine off saves fuel You could practice hyper-mileing as these engines don't get anywhere near the fuel mileage that their maker's make claims about.

It is the same as a motorcycle when coming to a stop slowly pull the lever and come to a stop. When you want to go keep holding it but pedal first. Then you can let go of the lever.

Back