painting engine cylinder. will effect cooling? [ tips pix links ]

EXACTLY :eek: !!!? THATS SO NICE! i love it, i hope i can get mine like that. i love the chrome covers. how do you do this stuff?????

its so beautiful, that i saved those pictures to my hard drive. hape you dont mind.

jon

I didn't do the work
that engine used to be in ebonita (the bike ibeenjammin bought from motokruiser)
I think the guy who bought the engine still shows up here once in a while (nogoodnic)
the side covers were polished with a lot of elbow grease and then sprayed with hi-heat clear
that's all the info I can give...I kept the pics to inspire me when I get around to trying it

im gonna do it this weekend, by then ill have pulled 150miles and im gonna put in my grease fittings, ill paint it all black then use my dremel to shave off the edges.

jon

Please keep us posted. I am thinking of doing the same thing on my 70cc. Loco, who did the powder coat on your motor? I was told that you can get powder coat paint in a spraycan at pep boys. This may sound like a stupid question, but isn't a powder coat baked on? I am a little confused. I was thinking of using a hight temp black paint and calling it a day.

I went to Pep Boys and picked up some low gloss black high temp paint with "ceramic" it suposedly helps to disperse heat more effectively. I also picked up a can of clear high temp paint because I just polished the three covers on the motor and will hit those up with the clear to help resist those monkey paw prints all over my motor. I will post picks when I get a chance.

i did it!

hey i did it this weekend, it looks great, i degreased it with that deadly degreaser stuffez...:D then i painted the engine head and shaved the ends:D
the paint looks really good, its now glossy is more of a flat powdercoat texture.

i would post some pictures but i still cant figure out how to get pics on here, this new software is confusing!!!:confused::confused::mad:

can someone tell me how to, the other way was simpler.

jon

okay, i figured it out, heres some pics of my transformed engine:cool:::

engine head 1.jpg

engine head 2.jpg

engine head 3.jpg

so???What do ya guys think??? i cant figure out how to enlarge the pics though...can someone tell me how?

jon

I conducted heat tests on both the Whizzer WC-1 and NE motors. Painting the cylinder with black engine enamel [Dupli-Color #DE1613] reduced the operating temperature by an average of 65 degrees on the WC-1 and 55 degrees on the NE motors. I usually "bake" the paint in an oven for 1 hour at 300 degrees to avoid the curing smell during motor break-in. Before I started offering ported Whizzer cylinders, I conducted research on the internet only to find everyone had different ideas concerning painted cylinders. After a brief trip down memory lane, I suddently realized almost all the cylinders were painted black on all my race motorcycles [1960 to 1980]. I thought maybe the factories might know more about heat contol than I did, so I conducted tests on the Whizzer motor to convince myself of the need to paint the cylinders. Because of my personal test results I won't sell any modified cylinders unless they are painted with black heat paint.
Whizzer OuterBanks,
Quenton

Back