I ended up cutting the bolts off, I removed paint and scuffed it up around the bolt areas, and put a product called seal-all over the bolt and surrounding areas.
Removed more paint in patches under the tank, and used contact cement to glue the tank to angle aluminum. Then added contact cement around and overlapping the edges of the aluminum, let it cure, then coated those dried patches of contact cement with more seal-all to protect it from spills or whatever from getting to the contact cement bonds.
The angle aluminum can be fashioned to the frame in a thousand different ways, including contact cementing large good quality (not harbor freight brand, trust me on this instance) hose clamps into place using the aluminum as a supportive structure.
Currently I'm using hose clamps with the clamps zip tied to the aluminum via 4 small holes on each side where the clamps meet the aluminum.
This makes a virtually vibration proof mounting system. It looks clean if done right, and in a worse case scenario you'll need to reglue the plates, but my design held up almost a year now without being capable of forming leaks at the bolt holes and not leaking or falling off the clamps or angle aluminum on a person who rides the sh*t out of their bike, in the last 6 months they went through 4 motors, but the tank is as solid as it will ever be.
Not a bad idea, maybe I could try that too, I just don't trust leaving the bolts, but I do know that the angle aluminum can have additional panels glued other riveted on, they could be decorative or can even serve to hide electronics if you are worried about looks
Nice idea with the grips kc, but I will mention I tried jb weld, the standard type, it cracked at the joint and eventually just started leaking again, then actuality became flexible as the gas and oil kept on it
I have built 5 bikes for myself. 4 of them stolen. I have only had one tank that did not leak. I did a lot of dirt road riding The rough road and engine vibration would crack where the mount studs are welded. I would clean the paint off and sand with 80 grit sand paper to scratch the metal so I could JB weld to seal the tank. That only works for a short period of time. So I built this mount and added rubber hose to help with the vibration issue.
I could convince myself that the original retail price would be just as worth it for that product, it easily met my expectations for the $200 I paid for it on eBay (new!) It's a very decent upgrade and having the ability to use a very strong single speed chain is such a plus, you eliminate so much trouble just by having a strong and straight driveline. Every motorcycle does exactly that, just keeps the shifting mechanism somewhere else. Kc is right for liking internal hub shifters, the drivetrain is naturally more resilient to wear and damage.