Porting 49mm iron bore

You did what???

It does not matter whatsoever where the arrow is pointing, (Arrow is supposed to face exhaust, not intake IF ring pins located correctly), as long as the ring pins are located on the intake side.

Ring pins are NEVER on the exhaust side.
May I ask why? I mean I know they’re supposed to be on that side for a reason I’m just not sure what the reason is and I’m not really sure what to do about the Nick you can see it on the right side transfer at the very top if you look at the first picture

May I ask why? I mean I know they’re supposed to be on that side for a reason I’m just not sure what the reason is and I’m not really sure what to do about the Nick you can see it on the right side transfer at the very top if you look at the first picture
The exhaust side is hotter, and the aluminum of the piston expands faster than the steel pins. This causes the pins to fall out and destroy your engine

May I ask why?
The ring pins and the piston are two dis-similar metals...The exhaust side is the highest heat side, heating dis-similar metals on the hottest side means that the pins will dislodge themsleves due to the higher heat forces exerted.

Thats why the ring pins are always on the intake side where they are continually bathed in cooler fuel and oil mix constantly flowing over them.

The ring pins and the piston are two dis-similar metals...The exhaust side is the highest heat side, heating dis-similar metals on the hottest side means that the pins will dislodge themsleves due to the higher heat forces exerted.

Thats why the ring pins are always on the intake side where they are continually bathed in cooler fuel and oil mix constantly flowing over them.
Here’s where the nick is on the first photo it’s not as bad as it looks on that photo

Attachments

• 9A8171AF-92C4-4AF9-A2A3-0574430252B5.png
    9A8171AF-92C4-4AF9-A2A3-0574430252B5.png
    714.7 KB · Views: 96

Well I guess I’ll see if the nick will cause any serious problems it’s crazy how big the transfers are compared to the other motors I’ve seen I mean fully ported out the transfers arent far from that ring pin

What port map did you do it for? You know you can't just do a hail mary and start chopping up?

I don't know why you cut the closed ports. You are much better leaving them closed than open.

Attachments

• 49mm Tranfer ports before and after.png
    49mm Tranfer ports before and after.png
    628.3 KB · Views: 84
  • 49mm transfers before and after.png
    49mm transfers before and after.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 82
  • 49MM before and after intake.png
    49MM before and after intake.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 81
  • 49MM EXHAUST NEW.png
    49MM EXHAUST NEW.png
    1 MB · Views: 88
  • 49mm port map.png
    49mm port map.png
    23.3 KB · Views: 87
Using tungsten is a b**ch at the time I ended up having to switch the location of the ring pins to the exhaust side so the arrow points toward the intake cause I nicked the cylinder just perfectly
.....what? dude it has nothing to do with the arrow, you can't have the pins facing the exhaust side, you will get ring snag. This is why intake ports are less wide, because the ring will expand.

Look, I commend you for trying, I'll absolutely give you that, however you butchered your cylinder. I don't know why you cut the closed transfers to open, or cutting your case to match the cylinder? Typically you cut the cylinder to match the case. I'm not trying to knock you dude because clearly you are very new to this, however nothing about this is okay, I'm sorry. I'm not going to sit here and grin knowing it isn't going to end well.

.....what? dude it has nothing to do with the arrow, you can't have the pins facing the exhaust side, you will get ring snag. This is why intake ports are less wide, because the ring will expand.

Look, I commend you for trying, I'll absolutely give you that, however you butchered your cylinder. I don't know why you cut the closed transfers to open, or cutting your case to match the cylinder? Typically you cut the cylinder to match the case. I'm not trying to knock you dude because clearly you are very new to this, however nothing about this is okay, I'm sorry. I'm not going to sit here and grin knowing it isn't going to end well.
Well actually I have run a 49mm iron bore before and it ended up blowing up the cylinder Becuase the transfer wall cracked and broke off and ruined my previous motor and also I don’t really care in the end if I do ruin it Becuase at the very least I get the practice to do better next time and wouldn’t you match the case considering the the transfers on the cylinder are bigger then in the case
I wasn’t using any port map I was simply taking out the ridges made from the casting process and the way they cut the ports out and your right lol I am not the newest but this Is the third cylinder I’ve ever ported and I did say I suck lol

Back