Push Trailer Hookup

Do you have a welder? I think i am going to research my hookup to mount on the rear axle rather then the seat post. Im thinking of a hitch reciver wraped around the rear tire with a U-joint mounted to the trailer. Most people do a straight shot to the seat post but im wondering if having the mount lower would benefit better then the torque on the seat post. On youtube there is a guy who made a trailer setup with a u-joint. You might want to serach for it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xq20jjZSYRg

Eeegads, that one on youtube is a real mess! I can only assume the poor guy didn't have a welder or couldn't weld. Yes, a U-joint is the best way to go with a single wheel trailer but car u-joints are way too heavy. I've used them. They make smaller, lighter U-joints for things like car steering and some online sites sell lighter joints but I haven't searched in awhile. A single piece of tubing welded or securely bolted on one side of the bike at the dropout and wrapped around to the rear of the tire is the simplest method. It's been a long time since I drove my push trailer, but I do recall that you need to start off slowly or you can jackknife. One time I was already going about 20mph and hit the throttle and it still jackknifed and tossed me into the ditch but I was able to keep it all upright somehow. My bike's rear wheel got warped though.

Eeegads is right, but looks as though THAT poor guy owns more bolts than my local hardware! That jackknife thought is scary.:sick:

Simple, Good Trailer Hook Up. Ron

Attachments

• BICYCLE TRAILER COUPLER  3.JPG
    BICYCLE TRAILER COUPLER 3.JPG
    25.4 KB · Views: 396
  • BICYCLE TRAILER FOLD UP.JPG
    BICYCLE TRAILER FOLD UP.JPG
    23.3 KB · Views: 401
Back