Questions & Answers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whizzer clutch dilemma

I appreciate all the help on this forum and apologize for asking so many stupid questions, but I don't know anyone else that has Whizzer knowledge.

I am having a problem with the clutch on a Vintage bike. When I install the coil guard and belt guard, the clutch pulley hits the coil guard. It looks like the front pulley is sitting too low. Should I get a longer front belt, or is there a better solution?

I am attaching a photo.

Attachments

• Low_Pulley1.jpg
    Low_Pulley1.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 927
Last edited by a moderator:
I appreciate all the help on this forum and apologize for asking so many stupid questions, but I don’t know anyone else that has Whizzer knowledge.

I am having a problem with the clutch on a Vintage bike. When I install the coil guard and belt guard, the clutch pulley hits the coil guard. It looks like the front pulley is sitting too low. Should I get a longer front belt, or is there a better solution?

I am attaching a photo.

When you say that the front pulley is sitting too low, do you mean too close to the flywheel? Use a straight edge and look to see if the edges of the flywheel pulley and the clutch pulley are in line with each other. If they are not, you may need to shim one or the other to make them line up with each other. This may also alleviate the pulley rubbing the guard.
What size belt are you using on your Whizzer? The vintage Whizzers take an AX-28 I believe, while modern ones take an AX-27. If you have a 27" belt on the bike that could be the problem.

Last edited:
Hi Traveler,

AX26 is the correct belt for the vintage Whizzer. The belt is 28" long and is similar to a 4L280, but AX numbers are not the outside length.

From the looks of the photo you are using a belt approx 1" too short.

Have fun,

Hi Traveler,

AX26 is the correct belt for the vintage Whizzer. The belt is 28" long and is similar to a 4L280, but AX numbers are not the outside length.

From the looks of the photo you are using a belt approx 1" too short.

Have fun,

Quenton, thanks for clarifying that. I thought the AX-28 was 28". Does that mean the right belt is actually shorter than an AX-27?

Correct,

Vintage AX26 [4L280] 28"
New Edition 4L290 [AX27] 29"

This also true on the rear belt.

AX62 is same as 4L640 [64"]

See Ya in Lewes,DE soon

Have fun,

Last edited:
Hi Traveler,

Is it possible to get a picture from the other side?

I have a few AX26 that are shorter than others because lenghts vary by companies.

The coil looks like an aftermarket, but they usually fit OK.

On a stock motor the pulley sometimes hit the coil guard at the rear when dis-engaged, but I have never seen one hit the "E" bar of the coil.

You might need to run a larger belt and NAPA has some "half" size belts and the part number starts with "XL".

Has the clutch arm been modified in any way?

You might take the bike to an auto parts store and try different belts.

It looks like an AX27 [4L290] would fit, but it isn't normal.

Have fun,

Other side of clutch

Thanks Quenton,

Attached is a photo of the other side of the clutch.

The pulley isn't hitting the coil at all. It only hits the coil guard. That's the reason I don't have the coil guard and beld guard installed. Yes, it's an after market coil. The original didn't work.

The clutch arm hasn't been modified, but it may not be the correct one because I bought the pully and arm after getting the engine.

Attachments

• Other_Side.jpg
    Other_Side.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 808
Last edited:
The arm & pulley look correct.

I think you just have a short version of the belt. Several of my restored Whizzers have the short belt but the pulley only contacts the coil guard when the clutch is completely dis-engaged.

I am including a photo of my 1950 Pacemaker and you can see how the shorter version of the belt pulls the clutch too far downward. It doesn't matter on my Pacemaker because it uses the automatic clutch and doesn't move downward to hit the coil guard.

You might want to try to find one of the notched belts from NAPA to find the perfect size. As I stated earlier they are available in odd sizes.

Have fun,

Attachments

• 1950LfMotor.jpg
    1950LfMotor.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 808
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back