Reed valve vs. stock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well then why do I always read. Oh zeda this zeda that there super good engines and what not. I was just trying to get the bike to go 40. And be able to do that at like 3/4 throttle maybe. And still get a extra few miles and hour outta the last little bit. Do I really wanna spend 500 bucks on just a engine. Not really. But if I can get my bike to 45 without doing a jack shift kit. I’d be happy.
40 mph is not that hard to do,I have stock engines doing 50 that I do very little to! Getting over 50 and having some good torque takes a bit of work then over 60 takes a bit more know how and a very good setup but ask any of his customers if they have gone over 60 and the answer is all way's NO,so paying $300-$500 for an engine that doesn't out perform a well setup stocker makes no sense to all of those whom have a clue.

40 mph is not that hard to do,I have stock engines doing 50 that I do very little to! Getting over 50 and having some good torque takes a bit of work then over 60 takes a bit more know how and a very good setup but ask any of his customers if they have gone over 60 and the answer is all way's NO,so paying $300-$500 for an engine that doesn't out perform a well setup stocker makes no sense to all of those whom have a clue.
Yup, if you pay $150 into a motor, then you still have $350 left to make it better, plus you'll find one in stock.

So what would you guys do to hit 40-45 on flat ground? Right now I have a Mz knock off pipe. High compression head. Ported jug with the wider ports. And a 36 tooth sprocket. I still need to finish fine tuning the keihin carb I have with the jets I have. But that’s my setup right now.

So what would you guys do to hit 40-45 on flat ground? Right now I have a Mz knock off pipe. High compression head. Ported jug with the wider ports. And a 36 tooth sprocket. I still need to finish fine tuning the keihin carb I have with the jets I have. But that’s my setup right now.
I can't say mine will go 40, I've never tried. 30 is fast enough for me, but I think it has some extra left in there.
I just have an NT carb, (clip on second from the top) a little polishing and a scooter pipe.

Probably at least slip fit the crank and for sure you'll have to balance it so you can role at 8500 rpm.

You really don't have to do much,and to still be able to call it stock you can't do much! So when we say stock that means all stock components used in the engine,no port timing changes, no balanced crank's though truing it helps,no upgraded ignition,no so called high comp head and so on the only thing really needed to change is the pipe. The stock 44t gear is best suited to a stock engine as they need to rev for speed and the 36t just adds load that is hard to over come unless the engine is reworked,with stock port timing 11k (rpm) can be reached on the stock gear and 26" wheel just by cleaning the port's removing any flashing/casting flaws and widening them 1mm each side,getting the jetting/needle right with a solid setup no air leaks, chain line straight and smooth with as little resistance as possible.This video is getting old now but shows how a stock engine can perform with a solid setup and a pipe that lets the engine breath,this pipe is an old bertha pipe not tuned and has no boost/hit point in this video yet the bike can still just hit 50.

20201001_104637.jpg

I took off my NT went back to HP carb but I don't run the reed valve with cause I don't need it cause I don't run an air filter with it that always gets damage. If you run it with an air filter you almost got to use the reed because oil back flash into the filter you have to wash it in clean gas at least once a week.

I don't ride on dirt trails so I don't worry about dirt. I run it at factory sitting needle on the mid notch. I found this soon as you get on a load hill this carb forces a low-end action on the engine give a different sound and a surge of power where the NT van still runs at the high end if you don't have the momentum from the NT vs Incline distance you are going to be forced to pedal.

I took mine on a test run the other day into the Black Forest there are a lot of rolling hills some long inclines and it pulled every one of them with the assurance I would make all of with low-end sound and power surge.

Last edited:
I’ve never chased speed but my son keeps asking so we got his up to 38 mph on level ground. Now I want to break 40... it’s a lot smoother that I thought it would be because the stock engines vibrate so much.

Well I did hit 42 on a slight down hill. The vibration isn’t to bad. But if I could do that at times when it’s needed on flat ground I’d be really happy.

I’m working on it, we haven’t torn his engine apart yet, there’s much we can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back