Removing rusted seat post 1958 Schwinn Hollywood

I've actually had this problem of a rusted seatpost in a frame. That wouldn't come out, no matter what I tried
I didn't want to suggest this operation because it requires some skill. If not careful it can ruin the frame. But it worked

I used a sawzall. The seatpost wasn't any deeper than the sawzall blade was long. So I very carefully made a cut through the seatpost inside lengthwise, making sure not to cut through the frame tube. When I finished my cut I pried back one side of the seatpost with a screwdriver and that was enough to pop it loose. If not I would of had to make another cut. Then using a wood dowel, I made a long sandpaper stick, hooked it up to a drill motor and sanded the rust from the inside of the frame tube.

One last suggestion, You could always show it to a machinist and see if they could drill it out

I'd probly drill a hole through, thread in a bolt and a nut and in case a slidehammer is available use that, or in case not use some sort of a screwdriver, chisel or sth like that to hit the bolt from below.

Have ya tried to heat up the frame seatpost tube any since the soaking, Seems like ya might have to also hook up a slide hammer to the seatpost. To be able to pound it up and out nice and straight.

I tried heating and whacking it with a 2 lb sledge hammer. but all it did was mushroom the top of the seat post. I don't have a slide hammer, so I will have to borrow or buy one from Harbor freight.

Try advance auto, they have loaner tools you can borrow.

When you heat it up, you’ve got to get it hot enough to start glowing red, I’m not sure that’s good for the frame, it will affect the heat treatment.

I tried heating and whacking it with a 2 lb sledge hammer. but all it did was mushroom the top of the seat post. I don't have a slide hammer, so I will have to borrow or buy one from Harbor freight.
Auto zone or any chain auto parts store will let you borrow a slide hammer for free.
Just give em your CC# cause if ya don't return it, then ya just bought it

Here's a wild idea:

IFFF the bike's bottom(BB) is directly below the seat tube,

Flip the bike frame upside down.
Remove the BB and crank arms.
Drill a large hole in the bottom of the BB,
Shove a large rod thru the BB, into the bottom of the seat tube.

Brace the bike frame and press the seat tube out with a bottle jack, a Toyota scissors jack or a floor jack.

Afterwards, weld the hole in the BB shut.

I'd probly drill a hole through, thread in a bolt and a nut and in case a slidehammer is available use that, or in case not use some sort of a screwdriver, chisel or sth like that to hit the bolt from below.

Okayyy.....

Drill and tap a hole in the seat post.

Brace the frame.

Use a hydraulic bottle jack, Toyota scissors jack or floor jack to pull out the seat post.

Diesel eats rust and won't damage anything..pour some down there or soak it for a while, believe it or not..riding the bicycle around with the clamp loosened will break it free.

Back