Slick 50 testings

Please explain!

As far as the demonstrations that you see where two Briggs & Stratton engines (one treated, one not treated) are run, they run two cycle oil in the fuel of the treated engine so the piston doesn't seize in the bore. The bearing clearances in splash lubricated engines is loose enough so that the rod doesn't seize to the crank, and the main bearings are ball bearings. Since there is no load, the "treated" engine will run for a long time with no apparent ill effects, while the "untreated" engine will quit after a few minutes as the piston seizes in the bore. After the demo, the piston is knocked free with some penetrating oil to do it all over again for the next bunch of suckers - ......er customers.

I don't get what your askin Ive have never seen such a demonstration as your describing. Im saying that it stands to common sense that with engines with tight tolerances: slick 50 wont work. these engines are hardly high tech are they?

BSA

......Im saying that it stands to common sense that with engines with tight tolerances: slick 50 wont work. these engines are hardly high tech are they?

BSA

Yes, please explain why this is because it isn't common sense to me. Sorry for the confusion, the demonstration example was aimed at BM. At car shows and racing events, snake oil vendors set up booths to sell their products. A common demonstration is to take two 5HP Briggs and Stratton 4 cycle horizontal shaft utility engines, treat one with "Slick Oil" and then pull the drain plugs out while the engines are running. These engines usually have a plastic window installed in the side of the crankcase to prove that all the oil is indeed drained out. The one with the gas/oil mix in the fuel tank will merrily purr along while the other one screeches to a halt.

Lets go back a few steps,
FORGET SCIENTIFIC REPORTS, RICH PEOPLE MAKING MONEY WITH SNAKE OILS AND ALL THE REST OF IT. WE KNOWWW ALL THIS, IT'S NOT NEW !

This thread is NOT endorsing ANY additive, it's just that it's been HOT here and thought, "why not, it's only a HT from China",
heck, I owned Mercs, taxis, good cars, fast cars, and never added anything except Valvoline.

Things have changed, some no longer need a car and similar to cig taxes, some refuse to entertain the govs gross convenient overcharging of everything, inlcuding over charging spare parts, camera traffic fines, but it's HAS been alot safer at the traffic lights since red light runners are a thing of the past, if there are cameras present.

Therefore,
The economy has become such, if I need to use a car, I ring or hail a cab.
$20.. at the most according to my needs.
The rest gets done on a MB. Simple.
If I ever need a car for some reason, it has to earn it's keep. Simple enough to.

So,
By not entertaining the cost of a motor vehicle, then I gain a surPLUS of cash, I can afford to "gamble" on a pint of Slick 50 and post my findings.

Now the next THING
AC , you have, it seems, no idea what BSA, me and some others "feel" when a engine runs, it's a "old school" feel, we remember yesteryears, things such as bearings "felt" differant, it just felt like it was made the way it was meant to be made, made to last. Had that "feel" about it.
These days, this ain't in existance on nearly all new stuff, it feeles weak and tinny and needs replacing if it wears.
My old bike dynamo when I took it apart, had no bearings, but a brass bush.
Why, cos that is the way it is meant to be, and it lasts. If the brass wears out, simply lathe up another.
But, the skill of back yard lathe tinkerers is a dying breed to. That old nostalgic odour from cutting oils is fading away.
We have a chance here with a HT to experiment, using that old school nostalgic "sprit" to just tinker.

BTW, bike goes great, using less fuel for some reason.
Hmm.

Lets go back a few steps,
FORGET SCIENTIFIC REPORTS, RICH PEOPLE MAKING MONEY WITH SNAKE OILS AND ALL THE REST OF IT. WE KNOWWW ALL THIS, IT'S NOT NEW !

And you've fallen for this one while admitting others are a sham?

I owned Mercs, taxis, good cars, fast cars, and never added anything except Valvoline.
Exactly, because all an engine needs is a supply of clean oil, no introduced solids like Teflon.

AC , you have, it seems, no idea what BSA, me and some others "feel" when a engine runs, it's a "old school" feel, we remember yesteryears, things such as bearings "felt" differant, it just felt like it was made the way it was meant to be made, made to last. Had that "feel" about it.......
........We have a chance here with a HT to experiment, using that old school nostalgic "sprit" to just tinker.
BTW, bike goes great, using less fuel for some reason.
Hmm.

I think I have a pretty decent ear for mechanical things. I used to be able to tell when my old VW needed a valve adjustment, I can tell when my high performance car has been fed regular fuel when I paid for high octane. But, I cannot tell the difference when there is dirty conventional oil, or a fresh fill of Mobil 1. I think what you guys are "feeling" is more of a placebo effect. People claim to get better mileage with those ridiculous tin tornado devices shoved in their intakes. My guess is that they are just driving more conservatively and don't even realize it. All testimonials like this are merely opinion. My opinions are based on facts provided by the FTC and Consumers Union. They say all of these oil treatments and fuel savers are junk.

I still want to know what research you did to support your opinion that Slick Oil is not needed on an engine with tight tolerances vs. one that has relatively loose clearances. I do not understand.

I think that since this use of Slick50 is outside the intended use in a 4-cycle engine, we can disregard the various claims and demonstrations of it's use in 4-cycle engines. They can be, at most, marginally relevant. I am interested in the outcome of this experiment.

Arce: I think that it may be that, if PTFE does any filling in porous metal, it might improve the tolerances in the HT engine. Maybe, maybe not.

ACGy
I still want to know what research you did to support your opinion that Slick Oil is not needed on an engine with tight tolerances vs. one that has relatively loose clearances. I do not understand.

My "research" is that I know my engine's unique charactoristics cos it's mine.
I know what it does, same as you know what your engine does, but only you know.

So,
It's a nothing test, it's a test because it can be done. It is not to endorse what we already know. It is what it is, a test on Slick 50 on HT..

If the old HT blows up,. it blows up, then blame something, perhaps you can blame Slick 50 blows up HT engines

If the old HT lives an extra 1000 miles, then it lives and extra 1000 miles, then I can say, the HT lived an extra 1000 miles.

All I am saying, since adding the Slick, it seems to run better in the heat we just had, what do you want me say, it blew up ?

maybe this inspired the test,
I want to test Slick 50
they wanted to be
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AoeM3V0LDg&feature=related

Last edited:
My father sold the old slick 50 formula. Before the name was bought by Pennzoil. He believed in the old stuff, not the stuff sold in the store today. He would only run one briggs motor for people.

Yes, please explain why this is because it isn't common sense to me. Sorry for the confusion, the demonstration example was aimed at BM. At car shows and racing events, snake oil vendors set up booths to sell their products. A common demonstration is to take two 5HP Briggs and Stratton 4 cycle horizontal shaft utility engines, treat one with "Slick Oil" and then pull the drain plugs out while the engines are running. These engines usually have a plastic window installed in the side of the crankcase to prove that all the oil is indeed drained out. The one with the gas/oil mix in the fuel tank will merrily purr along while the other one screeches to a halt.

In a new car engien with dead tight tolerances, there is less room for the particles to get between stuff like bearings and bushings if you know what I mean. There is less room for the tefloin to accumulate. Thats why it's never used in brand new cars running in and generally not a new vehicles, or ones that arent having a very hard life. On a ht it's gonna coat the bearings/ bushings and make stuff less prone to wear.

BSA

Arce: I think that it may be that, if PTFE does any filling in porous metal, it might improve the tolerances in the HT engine. Maybe, maybe not.
zactly, with ur new car it aint gonna make any difference, maybe after it's done 100,000 miles and things are gettin worn out.

BSA

heres my exp with oil additives

had a toyota 4x4 for 10 yrs....radiator blew up right after i bought it and it always had a bad habit of overheating resulting in an engine tick

i tried all the additives ...slick 50, duralube, mystery oil.....i cant even remember all of them

the tick never went away...never noticed a difference

then i tried zmax.....the tick just about dissapeared

unfortunatly 2 weeks later i had a head on collision so i dont know how it would have worked long term

im not endorsing anything just sayin in my experience zmax was the only one that 'seemed' to work....did it really work?.....no idea but the tick was gone

Back