Some help needed.

Oh man you guys are awesome.

There is no internal clutch and im not sure still what the reduction is as the guy who sold it to me said it was 6:1, but I dont know.

I tried firing it up today, but when I opened up the stopcock, the fuel just leaked out as there is nothing there.

I though about just welding that shut, I dont know though.

I really dont know anything about engines. I know a lot about pedal bikes and welding, but engines are new to me.

Any more info I should know? (Getting rid of the governor, how to get up to 40 mph w/ a clutch)

Last edited by a moderator:
Taking a closer look at your pics I noticed that the rope starter turns the engine clockwise as viewed from the output side. If there is really only a pinion and reduction gear in the gearbox like the parts manual shows, that would reverse the rotation making the output shaft turn counterclockwise as viewed from the output side.

Are you sure about the rotation direction?

The out put shaft of the motor is counterclockwise so the out put of the rack/pinion is clockwise.

Could you explain how to do that? Im engine incopetent as I said above.
And im terrible at math too.:confused:

I'm not the best guy to explain it, we have some real ratio wizards on this site and I'm sure they will chime in. You still need to figure out what your gearbox reduction really is. jpilot thinks its 2.5:1 which sure looks plausible from the outside of the gearbox.

How i would determine the reduction is to turn the engine flywheel one revolution and count how many revolutions the output shaft makes.
Walla ! reduction amount.

Do you actually want the reduction? pull the gear case off maybe?

Back