The "BEST" wheels for Motorized bikes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motorized Wheels

Like I said people, this thread was started to inform people of an alternative method of driving motorized bicycles other than your sprockets spoke attachment method.

I'm discussing motorized road riding, not BMX, or MTB stunts.

If you own spoked wheels that are disc brake ready you can use this sprocket mounting method too. It is FAR superior to the sandwiched spokes attachment. As far as wheel preferences go, spokes or mags thats a personal choice.

If you prefer spokes wheels, more power to you. Just dont dis me for my mag wheels.

If you dont want to get flamed, cut the name calling, and read before you post silly comments. I dont care how long your 'member' has been here, he started it. Just because hes been here longer than me does not give him the right to hassel me. I even let his stank comment pass before I felt I had to defend myself.

He deserves a Darwin Award for attempting to remove himself from the gene pool for not reading the instructions before using graphite wheels for stunts.

Who among you does not know that graphite is brittle and not fit for such purposes? Oh sure, it makes great fishing rods, and aircraft, but its not impact resistant. He should have read the instructions. So he put himself there.

Would you skydive with a parachute made of canvas? Would you hunt bear with a B.B. gun? One has to be intelligent enough to use consumer products according to their intended purpose.

Did you hear about the idiot that killed himself by blowing up a lava lamp in the microwave? True story! I dont feel sympathy for stupid people.

If you prefer to mount your sprocket on your spokes, you go right ahead! Its your choice. If you want to eliminate the afore mentioned problems, eliminate the afore mentioned spokes.

If you dont want your feeling hurt, then leave folks alone.:whistle:

Your Teny wheels look really cool. How is the runout and true on them? (do they wobbl

Not enough to notice. The brakes only just barely touch the rim each revolution.They're pretty straight. I have read of other people that were not satisfied with them. You cant please everybody you know, but the seller offers a great return policy, and will replace them free if they're warped or damaged in transit. Teny Wheel Co. offers a lifetime warranty on normal usage.

There are many cultural heritages on this forum. Perhaps they are engaging in a roughneck sort of bonding. To some people, every place is a pub!
2emjtc0.jpg

Flattracker , I'm new on here but that ain't cool!!!

Thanks for the reply. If you have the vendor site or email, you might post a review of them to boost their business and let people ask the vendor questions.

I like 26" bmx style bikes (cruiser class or MTB made to be 1x1 with a riser bar and cross link, cheap trials bikes etc). I think they would make a durable MB.

Ok, thanks for the info that your wheels are made only for smooth style use and not jumping or offroading.

I am interested in building a do-all lower geared adult BMX sometime for riding atv trails and using as a ATV to carry light gear and hunting weapons. I am researching for a future purpose for durable goods and people's techniques (esp for silent mufflers).

Good day all. going for a Sunday ride on my current one if the weather will be clear enough.

Not enough to notice. The brakes only just barely touch the rim each revolution.They're pretty straight. I have read of other people that were not satisfied with them. You cant please everybody you know, but the seller offers a great return policy, and will replace them free if they're warped or damaged in transit. Teny Wheel Co. offers a lifetime warranty on normal usage.

you got my attention now

Not enough to notice. The brakes only just barely touch the rim each revolution.

They're pretty straight.

been following your thread here Flattracker
these wheels sound kind of nice
was thinking that maybe in the future maybe giving them a try ??

but your statements above have me wondering ??

(( not enough to notice )) ------------ I like my wheels pretty darn straight

(( brakes barely touch )) ------------- I can not stand any touching at all

question ---------------------------- How straight are those THINGS ??

ride that THING

was thinking that maybe in the future maybe giving them a try ??

Honestly, the first set I bought red ones, they were absolutely straight no wobble or anything.
These wheels are
not as fragile as some may think. I've hit stuff crossing ditches and a couple of times it just about threw me from the seat!

If felt like a water pipe or something very solid, and unmovable. What I thought was a damaged rim for sure, turned out to be nothing but a bad jar for me.

Now my black set the, front rim has a very slight "defect" I'll call it. Not a warp or bend, and not bad enough for me to send it back, although I could have under free replacement warranty, its livable for me, so I kept it. Three out of four aint bad, and I think the post office may have had something to do with the mangled carton they arrived in. :unsure: Actually the new rubber tire itself is more out of round than the wheel! LOL!

Last edited:
The problem you're having with spoked wheels is not the fact that the wheels are spoked. It's the fact that bolting the engine drive sprocket TO the spokes is a really retarded idea and I don't know how it's persisted this long. Hard mount the thing to the hub, freewheel on the hub or friction drive it. That happytime way is just bad redneck engineering. Glad to hear these things work for that kind of setup though but I'd still be making an adapter to screw it directly into the disc brake mounting holes.

disk brake adapter

I used a disk brake mount to start with(home made) and now am using a Kings cycle adapter to do that with my spoked wheel. The sprocket is a 36 which gives me a top speed of about forty mph on the flat.

Seems to work well for me. I did have a problem when I over stripped the threads and had to helicoil a few in order to make them work. I think I would have had the same problems with the alloy wheels as well.

The six bolt mountain hub is I guess "old school" for disk brakes, But it seems to do the job quite well for me. I use an eight speed freehub and a actual eight speed thumb-shifter (Suntour xc) on the bike side. Glad I had it too because my engine mount slipped and I dropped the chain and had to ride my bike back about ten miles with just pedal power.

Haven't had that problem since I made a new seatpost adapter. hope it all holds together till my next build. I'm planning on building a motorbicycle pacific frame.

Mike the bike guy

chinese rednecks

"....redneck engineering."

vgqsyx.jpg

The problem you're having with spoked wheels is not the fact that the wheels are spoked. It's the fact that bolting the engine drive sprocket TO the spokes is a really retarded idea and I don't know how it's persisted this long. Hard mount the thing to the hub, freewheel on the hub or friction drive it. That happytime way is just bad redneck engineering. Glad to hear these things work for that kind of setup though but I'd still be making an adapter to screw it directly into the disc brake mounting holes.

The mounting to the hub (disk brake style) is the future, I really thing.

The next best thing is the dedicated hubs that seat the sprocket and lock with a threaded ring. (most the happy time sellers have them)

I think the rubber disk method (I think some people call it a "rag joint") has persisted so long because it lowers the price point for the new mb builder/driver, and it may allow the combo on a wheel the rider already owns, or perhaps a favorite style wheel that does not readily take the sprockets.

I saw an old guy riding a road bike at a charity ride/race, with a sprocket mounted on the front wheel. I asked him what it was for, as I hadn't been exposed to MB's. He said he had a neat little front wheel drive motor kit, but could take it off simply as removing the rack. He preferred to leave the sprocket because he had mounted it and aligned it so well, and didn't want to be put through that again. He was happy with the durability though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back