Turning Collector bikes into replica track board racers

I think a typical bike from ~50 years ago is probably better than a typical <$100 department store bike now, but then, that <$100 department store bike is the worst kind you can get, the cheapest, with the flimsiest parts. So that doesn't say a whole lot for the old frames.

Is an old frame better than a modern MTB frame, in terms of durability? Probably not. MTB frames are built for pounding by adults, to put it simply. The old-time bikes were never really meant for that.

The wildcard with old frames is how much rust damage they have. Frames that sit upright with the seat tube open (no seatpost inserted) can collect rainwater and bad things can happen where you can't see.

As for rarity: if I came across something old that I wanted to use, I would certainly try to value it before I did anything it; there is always a chance that it might be worth a large amount of money (there's Indian and Harley-Davidson bikes floating free out there, some of these regularly sell for $2000+ even un-restored) ...... but honestly,,,,,,
most aren't.
Go look on the RatRodBikes forum, you'll read plenty of stories of people pulling 1930's frames of all kinds out of trash bins and even the drop-off point at the city dump.
~

I wouldn't... motorize a cheap modern reproduction or a cruiser. Dont destroy something that cannot be replaced. I cringe when somebody motorizes a cool 1950's schwinn... let alone something from the 30's.

If you really like the frame... take it to a good welding/fabrication shop and have them reproduce it for you.... but dont kill the original.

I think a typical bike from ~50 years ago is probably better than a typical <$100 department store bike now, but then, that <$100 department store bike is the worst kind you can get, the cheapest, with the flimsiest parts. So that doesn't say a whole lot for the old frames.

Is an old frame better than a modern MTB frame, in terms of durability? Probably not. MTB frames are built for pounding by adults, to put it simply. The old-time bikes were never really meant for that.

The wildcard with old frames is how much rust damage they have. Frames that sit upright with the seat tube open (no seatpost inserted) can collect rainwater and bad things can happen where you can't see.

As for rarity: if I came across something old that I wanted to use, I would certainly try to value it before I did anything it; there is always a chance that it might be worth a large amount of money (there's Indian and Harley-Davidson bikes floating free out there, some of these regularly sell for $2000+ even un-restored) ...... but honestly,,,,,,
most aren't.
Go look on the RatRodBikes forum, you'll read plenty of stories of people pulling 1930's frames of all kinds out of trash bins and even the drop-off point at the city dump.
~

I do like what doug says here... especially about having it valued first. Sounds like good advice.

I thought so too but now I'm begining to have second thoughts. I've seen newer bikes that have lost welds and also snapped clean in two at the rear H/time engine mount area (seat down tube). Also older rims / spokes hold up better than there newer counterparts. First the mountain bike frame are worse than any beach cruiser and then it seems with the beach C's the older seems to do better . Don't ask or tell me about metalurgy and such I'm going by what I've experienced . I ride a 53 Columbia Beach/ Tri Star two summers now with no problems. Just stripped and inspected prior to paint and was clean and clear of any cracks and such...Tom

Go for it! Do you want a shiny shelf warmer or a cool vintage style motor bicycle?

I say it depends on the bike.
My 58 Spaceliner was to far gone to restore so......
Then a 55 Rollfast. Just a frame and fork.....(not finished yet)
I have no excuse for the Phantom, it was crying for a motor and can be put back to original with little work.

Attachments

• P1020003.JPG
    P1020003.JPG
    80 KB · Views: 497
  • P1020001.JPG
    P1020001.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 549
  • PB210009.JPG
    PB210009.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 951
Does one turn a true collectors bicycle into a motorized replica?

I have a good condition Cleveland bicycle from the early thiries...

I am at mixed thoughts. How about you all?

Your bike, your call. Me, if I had a "collector" bicycle I would restore it if necessary to it's original past glory but if you motorize it, I suggest it is just an ordinary modern motorized bicycle and loses it's collectors luster (unless that is you have a kit from thirties to turn it into a motorized bicycle from the thirties). I would think a bike of this vintage, while originally strong, might still be a bit rickety after seventy years and for me, I want to be riding on new wheels at 35 mph.

What I and my cuz (he can weld) are having great fun is with taking a very strong, modern industrial bike (husky) that retains old style styling and doing a retro look on it. I am going for the 1909 Indian "look". Being a modern bike, I can retain most of the brand new parts (with the factory 12 gauge spokes) while modifying the lower front of the frame and moving the seat post back and downward (and adding a new commerical purchased (20 bucks) underhang tank (with a cover to make it look like the old tanks) and a
rear axle stand. The amazing thing is that we have put about 20 hours total in it (some of that time correcting our mistakes) and should have it running with the mods (except the rear stand which hasn't come in yet) with about 10 hours more of work (will still have to paint it that vivid and crowd pleasing "Indian" Red). Thought about Indian blue, but I want something that is going to be "recognizable" as an Indian to the average joe.

I think it is going to be a hoot to ride and show off and will help bring back the old days...without messing up something that is actually historical.

I'll be posting pics as soon as it is up and running (hopefully tommorrow) to show the structural changes prior to painting. Of course, after painting, the all white tires go on it...

AL

Back