Upper Southeast Alaska

Trek 830 Aluminum HT with SBP Shift Kit

I think I've got this in working order now. Took it for a bit of a ride yesterday. Road conditions were too rough (snow on top of ice) to open it up at all, but it seems to run nice, and feels like I've got some good range in the gearing. If I can get out on a lake where the snow has blown off, I can see how fast she runs. Not this week though. Right now there's a fresh 18" of snow on the ground and it's still falling. They say we might have 30" by morning.

101_1222_1.jpg

Nice. I had some doubts about that engine....now you'll need to start tuning :giggle:

I'll I will say is nice tires and my hands and face would be aching in those riding conditions. :sick:

Thanks Pablo. I think I'll leave the engine stock until it's broken in. Then I'll be getting ahold of you for an air filter. I've read that the one you sell makes a big difference.I probably won't do much more than that. Reliability is pretty important here, and I worry about the HT as it is.

in 3 years im moving around in that area. thinking bought haines, juneau, wrangell or sitka and becoming a state trooper.. alaska is awesome. and dose ur bike run good up there being in the cold.

A little harder to start. I had to warm up the Trek the other day to get the clutch to engage. I have to strip and lube the cables regularly (if any moisture gets in there they freeze solid). The roads are a bit rough for the trike because the ice isn't even. Once I get the HT broken in, I'll see how it deals with my 32+ mile (each way) commute. I would think that the cool temps will be good for it.
I wanted to go for a ride today, but I had to tend to chores around the house (haulin' firewood, etc.).

I guess winter is really over. The bears are awake. I was going out to work on the Trek (the clutch still doesn't seem to want to engage fully), and saw this come running out of the woods. I stepped back into the house, grabbed the camera, and got a pic. I'd guess about 900 lbs, 4' - 5' tall at the shoulder (on all four). It ran out of the woods, stopped by the pond, looked back into the woods, and ran off into some more woods over by Ronnie's place. I don't even want to know what it might have been running from. Makes working out in the yard a bit more interesting.

101_1565.1.jpg

know your bears

thats beautiful country, not many people can look out their windows & see those kind of sites.i think you are blessed to be able experience that. thought you might like this pic.

Attachments

• 60369-BearCoun%5B1%5D.JPG
    60369-BearCoun%5B1%5D.JPG
    81.6 KB · Views: 232
Last edited:
Back