Want to do a ground up build, no kits, need a parts list

One thing that I've found very useful is a bike stand. Makes working on the bike so much easier on your back..no bending over all the time

Part of the reason there is no organized how-to on ground up builds is because for one, every ground up build is a little different. That's kind of the point. No two builds go together exactly the same way, not even kit builds. And the other is that so much goes into a ground up build that it can be kind of tough to keep track of and document. Sometimes depending on what exactly you're building and how, you have to get creative and kinda hack things together sometimes. Also, if you're working off a parts list that you found or someone gives you, you're basically still building a kit anyway and kind of going against the spirit of a "custom" build. But there are plenty of parts available for ground up builds, you just have to do the research.

A 'kit' is simply a box of parts assembled by someone that knows all the parts 'play nice together' for less that you can buy them separately because the seller buys in bulk.

The innovators are the ones that try all kinds of things and once it's right, box 'em up as a kit.

My point was, whether you are building from an actual kit that came in a box or building off of a parts list, you're still using parts that someone else picked out. Have others used some of the same parts I am using? Sure, absolutely. But did I go off of a list that someone else picked out for me? No. Do I consider myself an innovator? Probably not, I'm just a guy who is trying to build a cool bike, my own way.

You should look at electric shift kits from sickbikeparts. It requires a battery and bms, but in the end you would be paying less in maintenece and gas. You could even put it on a full suspension bicycle. Ive built a 2-Stroke bike from the ground up on a skyhawk frame and the final cost for me was about $1,200 and took me about a year on and off. My next build will be an electric 1000w+ 30 - 50 mile range on a full suspention frame.

You should look at electric shift kits from sickbikeparts. It requires a battery and bms, but in the end you would be paying less in maintenece and gas. You could even put it on a full suspension bicycle. Ive built a 2-Stroke bike from the ground up on a skyhawk frame and the final cost for me was about $1,200 and took me about a year on and off.
My next build will be an electric 1000w+ 30 - 50 mile range on a full suspention frame.
This is almost a year old topic, but I agree with you for the most part.
Electrics have their place in MB's, especially if their is no room for a gas engine.

So you are looking to build an Electric Soft Tail Shifter?
They are cool but expensive....

This was a customer supplied $3500 Specialized full suspension bike he wanted me to motorize, and electric was just the ticket.

2_SpecializedEpicDoneR-1280.jpg

2_SpecializedEpicDoneL-1280.jpg

48V ~1KW LI battery and ~1.8KW Motor and Controller capacity, and 8-speed transmission.
Frigg'n awesome if you can afford a ~$5K budget for everything new and top notch.

Their are way less expensive bikes to start with, that is just an example of a pretty good one, and what can be done with them is all.
I hope that helps ;-}

Back