What is a good brand brake pad?

michael whiteman

Local time
10:21 PM
The cantilever rim brakes on my motorized bike need new pads. The original ones are way old and the material seems hard and glazed. What is the best brand as far as material that will really stop this thing?

Mark20 or Somebody on here turned me on to these..... 3000+ miles and they were still good before my garage fire.
Great Brake Pads

PS, And they don't squeal like a pig

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Mark20 or Somebody on here turned me on to these..... 3000+ miles and they were still good before my garage fire.
Great Brake Pads

PS, And they don't squeal like a pig
yup, i only use these pads on my bikes, they last forever and stop great!

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
That's a good question and a worthy quest what are or is a good pad?

Presently I got Jagwire on the rear from REI cost $15.00 and I don't recommend them but I had to do something quick cuz the bike brand new still has paint on the rims and the brakes were just 1" and I'm having a horrible time braking half to strangle the hell out of the hand grips to stop.

I got another pair order coming thru the mail should be here late Thursday I'm just ordering n there ad best rubber made for braking, I hope that's Black-burn V brakes.

I never thought there was too much of a problem with Bell Brakes but Walmart not in stock went to 3 Walmarts all space 5 miles apart out stock. But until I try these Black-burn I would say Bell.

Attachments

• 20210503_182332.jpg
    20210503_182332.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 123
KoolStop Salmon colored pads have been mentioned a lot. I'm running a pair of Avid's linear pull brake pads for a through hole cantilever set. They actually stop quietly. I don't see any big improvement in their stopping power over the Shimano pads that used to be on these cantis.

The cantilever rim brakes on my motorized bike need new pads. The original ones are way old and the material seems hard and glazed. What is the best brand as far as material that will really stop this thing?
In order to stay competitive brake pad manufacturers tend to sell quality at a certain price range. In other words all $10 brake pads tend to be the same quality wise regardless of brand name. When I used rim brakes the pads I used cost around $50 for a set of front and back.

Where you aren't going to find a good quality set of pads is at Wal-Mart. You can go on eBay and Amazon set the filter for price low to high. The various brands will start to appear the ones higher in price tend to be the better pads. You can also contact a reputable bicycle shop and ask for their recommendations.

Here's Kool Stop website. You may want to consider their ebike pads.

I also suggest looking up other companies websites and seeing what they have to offer. Research will render the best results.

Last edited:
Back